Main Content

Holiday Foods That Are Hazardous to Pets

The following article is courtesy of our partner, Banfield Pet Hospital. Used with permission.

During the holiday season, many of our clients ask our veterinarians if they should be worried about their pets getting into their holiday goodies. The answer is an emphatic “yes”! There are many unhealthy (and even dangerous) foods that tempt pets during the holidays. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you prepare your festivities.

Holiday Foods That Are Hazardous to Pets


  • Candy can be deadly. Chocolate contains theobromine, a substance that can be toxic to pets. Dark, semi-sweet or Baker’s chocolate can be lethal to pets if ingested.
  • Don’t feed your pet leftovers. Fatty leftovers (such as meat drippings or meat bones) can cause internal injury, upset stomachs, diarrhea or vomiting.
  • Bones are bad. Although bones from our holiday birds look good to pets, they are dangerous and can cause intestinal upset and may even splinter once digested.
  • Watch the packaging. Packaging can cause choking or intestinal blockage. Foil wrappers can become as dangerous as razors when swallowed.

Have a safe and happy holiday season. If you have any questions specific to your pet, consult with your Banfield veterinarian.

Share this Article

Recently Viewed Pets