This is for a basic pet first-aid kit. For convenience, you may want to make one for your home and another for your car. It is also a suitable Disaster Preparedness kit.
- Sterile gauze pads (3″ x 3″ and 2″ X 2″) and gauze bandage rolls (1″ and 2″)
- First-aid adhesive tape, 1″ roll
- Cotton swabs (Q-tips®)
- Plastic freezer/sandwich bags
- Small bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide
- Styptic pencil or cornstarch (stems blood flow from minor cuts)
- Antibacterial ointment
- Antiseptic cleansing wipes
- A current pet first-aid book
- Mineral oil (a lubricant and laxative when given by mouth)
- Digital or rectal thermometer in a plastic case
- Leather work gloves (to protect you from being bitten)
- Latex gloves
- Thin rope
- Splint materials (tongue depressor, 12-inch wooden ruler or thick magazine)
Place the contents in a plastic storage box, tackle box or coffee can with lid.
Pre-made pet first-aid kits are available for purchase at pet supply stores such as PETCO, pharmacies, retail and discount stores and on-line.