Days End Farm Horse Rescue™, Inc., is a 501(c)3, nonprofit, volunteer-based animal welfare organization established in 1989 to ensure quality care and treatment of horses through intervention, education and outreach.
1) Complete a horse interest form: https://www.defhr.org/meet-the-horses/horse-interest-form/
2) A member of the DEFHR adoptions team will contact you upon submission of a horse interest form. A visit to the farm is required- This will include a meet and greet, as well as riding for applicable horses.
3) After the adoption appointment/s, if both adopter and horse are a match, an Adoption Application will be completed to signify commitment to adoption. This includes a non-refundable $50 application fee (deducted from the final adoption fee).
4) Upon submission of an Adoption Application, the adopter is asked to complete a Facility Profile Report to ensure that the facility meets the Maryland Horse Council’s Minimum Standard of Care for Equines. References are all also checked.
5) Adoption Day! Pick-up or delivery for an additional fee is available. All DEFHR horses leave for their new homes up to date on vaccinations, coggins, deworming, farrier, vet, and dental care. All DEFHR horses are microchipped and registered with petlink.com.
Adoption: The horses in this program have varying adoption fees and ownership deeds are provided to the adopter 12 months after the adoption. For horses under two-years-old, DEFHR retains ownership until the horse is at least three-years-old. This is dependent on an approved final facility profile report and satisfactory horse care provided by the adopter.
Guardian Program (GP): The horses in this program have varying adoption fees and DEFHR retains the titles for GP horses throughout their lifetime. DEFHR requires annual facility profile reports/horse updates on GP horses. Horses in this program are either over 20 years of age or require special treatment and attention due to a medical condition. While caring for the GP horse, any expenses incurred by the caregiver are tax-deductible, including but not limited to: feed, stall bedding, veterinary care, farrier care, medication, and supplements.