Alleviate the suffering of animals in Puerto Rico by providing temporary shelter, offering spay-neuter and other veterinary services, and help find these pets forever homes.
1. The adopter agrees that the animal will be kept only as a domesticated house
pet. Dogs will live indoors except for periods of exercise in a fenced-in yard or on
a leash, and will not be trained for undesirable behaviors (i.e., territory guarding).
Altos Veterinary Clinic (AVC) does not mandate that cats must remain indoors,
but the adopted agrees that reasonable accommodation will be made to ensure
their safety while outdoors.
2. The adopter agrees to provide proper veterinary care for the animal, including the
use of monthly flea, tick, and heartworm preventatives for the life of the pet.
3. The adopter represents that all family members have agreed on the adoption of
the animal and that all family members will abide by the terms of this agreement.
The adopter further represents that he/she is eighteen years of age or older.
4. The adopter represents that he/she has never owned an animal which has been
confiscated by any animal control or humane organizations for violation of state
or local animal control regulations or animal adoption agreements.
5. The adopter grants AVC the right to visit the adopter’s premises for the purpose
of checking on the health and general welfare of the animal, in the case that
there is a reasonable concern.
6. If for any reason the adopter is unable to provide care to the animal, the adopter
agrees to return the animal to AVC. The adopter shall not offer the animal for
sale or give the animal to any third party without prior written consent of AVC.
7. The adopter agrees that AVC shall have the right of immediate possession of the
animal if, in the judgement of AVC, the animal is receiving inadequate care or the
animal is being improperly housed or handled.
8. AVC can seek the return of the animal by judicial process or other legal means if
necessary. If legal action is instituted, the adopter agrees to pay reasonable
attorney’s fees and court costs. The adopter further agrees that failure to comply
with the provision stated in the contract may result in forfeiture of the animal.
9. The adopter agrees that any dog adopted from AVC will not have ear cropping or
tail docking procedures performed unless deemed medically necessary by the
veterinarian. Furthermore, the adopter agrees that any cats adopted from AVC
will not have declawing procedures performed unless deemed medically
necessary by a veterinarian.
10. The adopter recognizes and agrees that all adoption fees are non-refundable,
and the adopter is responsible for all future veterinary care and associated
medical costs for the animal.
The adopter hereby declares that he/she is aware:
-That animals are different from human being in their response to human actions.
-That the actions of animals are often unpredictable.
-That the animal’s behavior may change after they leave the shelter and accustoms
themselves to a new home or other different environments.
-That the AVC makes no claims as to the temperament, health, or mental disposition
of any animal put up for adoption.
-That there will be no refunds of adoption fees.
-That he/she has received a copy and acknowledges the terms of the VHSAR Animal
The adopter hereby accepts possession of, title to (subject to the conditions of the
adoption contract), and responsibility for the animal adopted and agrees to release and
discharge Altos Veterinary Clinic forever from liability and for any injuries or damages to
any person or property caused by the adopted animal, and from any cause of action,
claims, suits, or demands whatsoever that may arise as result of such injury or