Main Content

Dangerous Foods for Dogs

The following is an excerpt from’s The Adopted Dog Bible

Sometimes it seems like dogs are little garbage disposals dressed in fur. Dogs are scavengers by nature, so they are likely to try to get their teeth into things they shouldn’t. And they are omnivores, which means they will munch on just about anything — from roadkill to garbage to the contents of the cat’s litterbox. Yuck!

While some things will just leave a bad taste in your dog’s mouth, there are other common foods that can be very dangerous, and even fatal, if ingested. These include:

Dangerous Foods for Dogs


  • Alcohol
  • Avocados
  • Chocolate (all types)
  • Coffee (all forms)
  • Garlic
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Moldy or spoiled foods
  • Onions or onion powder
  • Salt
  • Yeast dough
  • Xylitol (sweetener)

In addition, avoid feeding your dog bones (especially small, soft bones such as those from chickens and pork chops) as they can splinter and cause injury to the mouth, throat, and intestines.

If your dog eats a chocolate chip cookie or a piece of moldy bread, chances are he will be perfectly fine (although he may need to go outside to vomit). However, if you discover he’s eaten an entire chocolate cake, or even a smaller portion of unsweetened (baker’s) chocolate, which contains a much higher concentration of the toxic component, theobromine, or any of the above listed foods in any significant quantities, get him to the vet right away.

Share this Article

Recently Viewed Pets