This is an inline carousel of images and or videos of this pet.
-Mikka in Maine German Shepherd Dog Trenton, ME
- Sweet, Sensitive, Curious
- Coat length
- Vaccinations up to date, spayed / neutered, special needs. Undersocialized, hyperextension of legs, arthritis.
- Prefers a home without
Petfinder recommends that you should always take reasonable security steps before making online payments.
Meet -Mikka in Maine
Mikka is a gorgeous, highly intelligent 8-year old black shepherd looking for a special home. Mikka did not receive adequate socialization in his previous life, so he is now learning what is expected of him. Given the time to learn and observe, Mikka is blossoming. He is slowly getting used to having more freedom than he has been used to, and is enjoying the gradual approach. He is making new human friends at the shelter and is ready to be in a home. Although initially fearful/anxious, Mikka appears to be able to quickly form positive relationships with familiar and unfamiliar people with proper introductions. Mikka is a large dog and has hyperextension in both front and back legs. His new home will ideally provide soft bedding and keep his weight on the lower side due to arthritis. He will need a dog saavy and patient family, ideally with German Shepherd experience, to be successful. In particular, his family needs to be willing and able to establish routines, and keep a keen eye on how Mikka responds to everything in life.
Mikka doesn’t enjoy car rides. His activity level is low to moderate. He is sweet, sensitive, curious, and he is learning to be silly. He is enjoying learning about clicker training.
Mikka was assessed by a behavioral veterinarian, who provided these recommendations:
• Quiet, adult only home
• Slow, gradual introductions with new people and environments. It will be important to give Mikka time needed when acclimating in a new environment and towards new people.
• Other animals possible although caution and slow introductions are needed. He doesn’t have a lot of experience with other dogs, so for now at least, he needs to be the only dog in a home. We are unsure about cats.
• Positive reinforcement training for clear communication and behavior modification
We believe that Mikka will be a spectacular companion, given the right home and circumstances.
PLEASE NOTE - We will check your veterinary reference, to ensure that current and prior pets have a history of being kept up to date on vaccines, annual exams and recommended bloodwork. We also do home checks to make sure that your home environment meets the needs of the particular animal you are interested in.
If you’re interested in adoption, please fill out our online adoption survey at https://www.olddogsnewdigs.com/adoption-survey/. We are partnering with PAWS Brave Hearts in Calais to find the right home for Mikka. You can contact them by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 207-4547662.
Finding pets for you…
Finding pets for you…
-Mikka in Maine
- German Shepherd Dog