The Mission of the Orcas Animal Protection Society is to promote the humane care of animals by educating the public about responsible pet care and adopting dogs and cats into loving homes
Our shelter is located on Orcas Island in Washington State. Our adoption policy is to always try to find a suitable home for a pet here on island before looking else where. If a suitable owner is not found, we then widen our search to those in San Juan County and outlying areas. If you are looking to adopt from outside of the U.S., please be aware that this would be highly unlikely and only under special circumstances that we would choose to do so.
1. All animals are spayed or neutered prior to adoption. All cats are screened for Feline Leukemia and FIV.
2. Animals are adopted only to homes where we believe they will receive good and stable life-long care.
3. Prospective adopters must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and must sign an adoption agreement.
4. No animal is knowingly adopted to a residence where pets are not allowed.
5. Adopters intending to house a dog outside must have a doghouse and a fenced area or other suitable arrangement for the protection of the dog.
6. Animals will not knowingly be adopted as a gift for another person unless she/he is a member of the immediate family or has been consulted and agrees to be available for adoption screening.
7. Potential adopters must fill out an adoption request form and complete a 24-hour waiting period before adopting a pet.
8. Potential adopters must attend a conference with an adoption counselor before adopting a pet.