Animals are held per state requirements, and are redeemed by the owner, adopted, or euthanized. Our shelter has been on a NO KILL Mission since September 2013.
The shelter also houses a low-cost spay/neuter clinic operated by Lionhearts Inc.,
a local humane organization.
Adoption Requirements and Application
We are pleased you have decided to give a homeless animal a second chance. The purpose of our adoption program is to find responsible lifelong homes for the animals.
• Must be 18 years of age to adopt.
• If the animal is under 16 weeks of age, you must live in Spotsylvania to adopt.
• All animals must be Spayed/neutered if older than 16 weeks before leaving the shelter. (There are some exemptions to the requirement).
• In households with small children under six (6) years, application for adoption of puppies and kittens less than five (5) months of age shall be determined by the following guidelines.
A.) Age of Child.
B.) Compatibility between the child and the animal, which will be evaluated by the Animal Shelter Assistants before adoption.
C.) The child’s previous experience with other animals.
• If you rent your home or land, you must have written permission with a telephone number to contact your landlord before the adoption takes place.
• Adopters must agree to comply with all state and local ordinances/laws governing animals.
• Animals are placed as household pets, not guard dogs and mousers.
• NO animals adopted by persons having a history of losing, giving away, selling, turning in animals to shelter/s, or having animals injured or killed by moving vehicles/accidents.
WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ANY ADOPTION!
day hours Monday Closed Tuesday 12pm-4pm Wednesday 12pm-4pm Thursday 12pm-4pm Friday 12pm-4pm Saturday 12pm-4pm Sunday Closed