Black dogs are traditionally passed over for adoption in favor of light coated dogs. Our mission at The Little Black Dog Rescue Group is to help any abused, abandoned, or mistreated dog find the best possible home in the DMV regardless of breed, color, or size. We strive to achieve this goal with compassion, transparency, and a strong sense of responsibility to our dogs, applicants, volunteers, foster families, and supporters.
Our adoption process is structured to provide timely responses to potential adopters. Our current practice is to respond to all applicants within 10 business days whether TLBD will move forward with your application.
o Main applicant must be 18 years or age or older
o Desired date of adoption must be within 2 weeks of submitting. If not, TLBD will hold off on review and notices until it reaches 2 week mark.
If approved, your application will be valid for 1 year after submitting.
• Interview should be to relay our mission, review any necessary clarifications from the application and their interest in adopting a rescue, and a few situational questions. There should be a STANDARD to what kinds of answers are better than others
• If approved, applicant will be passed off to Placement Coordinator (PC) to schedule a Meet & Greet (M&G) between the foster dog and applicant
• PC to facilitate M&Gs. PC will be second eyes on applications.
• Fosters will be trained and given a checklist to act as the in-person interviewer.
• If applicants cannot attend a M&G within 4 days of the interview, TLBD reserves the right to host another M&G in between.
• We will host meet & greets one-by-one. Meaning an applicant must be rejected first (or them reject the dog) for the dog to be set up with another applicant, OR applicant is also looking at other dogs in our rescue.
• Applicant has 24 hours to decide if they want to move forward.
• Decisions from TLBD will be made within 48 hours of the M&G.
• Checklist/ranking form for Approvals team to follow
• Approvals team consists of: Adoptions Director, PC, and foster.
• Once the adoption agreement is signed the adopted dog must be picked up within 48 hours of signing the adoption agreement.