Our Vision: We envision a future in which all animals are treated humanely, with compassion and respect.
Our Mission: The Humane Society of the Tennessee Valley is dedicated to providing lifesaving programs and resources to enrich the lives of people and companion animals in the communities we serve.
Founded in 1885, the Humane Society of the Tennessee Valley is the longest standing animal shelter in the State of Tennessee. A stand-alone 501c(3) limited admissions animal shelter, the Humane Society of the Tennessee Valley receives no funding from national humane entities or government agencies; relying solely on private donations and grant funding.
Located in Knoxville, TN our organization is committed to our relationships with other shelters in the Tennessee Valley, by transferring animals at-risk for euthanasia, to our shelter for adoption. Our Adoption Center offers dog and cat adoptions along with lifesaving programs including outreach, foster, volunteer, humane education and Pet Safety Net to help keep animals in their homes and out of area shelters. Our Spay/Neuter Clinic offers low-cost spay/neuter surgeries to area shelters and rescues, and public walk-in low-cost vaccine clinics.
Standard adoption fees:
Adult dog $150.00 Puppy $250.00
Adult Cat $50.00 Kitten $125.00
HSTV Adoption Process
1) Meet with the animal you are interested in adopting – either at our shelter, at an
event or in foster care.
2) Fill out an Adoption Application including a valid state issued photo ID that
verifies you are 18 years or older and reflects your current address.
3) Meet with an adoption counselor to discuss the animal you are interested in and
answer any questions you have.
4) Adoption counselors approve adoptions based on a “best match” basis not on a
first-come basis. Management reserves the right to prohibit adoption of outsideonly
pets based on certain breeds or ages.
5) Adoption counselors check all applications against a registry of previous animal
neglect and/or abuse.
6) Pay the adoption fee (varies depending on the animal). Standard adoption fees:
Adult dog $150.00 Puppy $250.00 Cat $75.00 Kitten $125.00
7) Once the animal is ready to go home (altered and up to date on shots), the
adoption will be finalized.
8) Fill out the Adoption Contract and choose a Veterinarian for your first visit.
9) Discuss your new pet’s medical records, pet insurance, dog training, puppy
socialization, and go over any special notes with the adoption counselor.
10) Fill out the Microchip information so that your pet can be found if ever lost.
11) Have your “Gotcha Day” photo taken to remember adoption day!
12) Adoption fees include spaying or neutering, a free office visit at a partner
veterinary clinic, microchip, temporary leash/carrier, initial vaccinations and
preventatives. Please call on us if you have any questions once you get home.
We are here for you!