We improve the lives of domestic rabbits through the coordination of local volunteer-driven Education, Rescue, and Adoption efforts in Indiana.
To accomplish this goal:
* We provide resources to educate the public on the benefits of rabbits as companion animals, rabbit behavior, and rabbit care
* We provide assistance establishing programs with animal control agencies, shelters, humane societies, and sanctuaries to increase their rabbit adoption rates
* After we have exhausted all avenues, provided we have the available resources, we coordinate the rescue of rabbits scheduled for euthanasia and adopt them through our group
The IHRS has an adoption process that is followed for all standard adoptions. To complete the process you will take the following steps:
1. Complete this adoption questionnaire. Upon completion of the questionnaire, you will receive an email with some information and the next steps.
2. Review the email and the material provided to prepare the adoption consultation.
3. Once you have reviewed the information and replied to the email per the instructions, you will sign up for an adoption consultation either via the email you received or the screen you view after the submission of this questionnaire. **Note: failure to take this step will be considered as a withdrawal from the process.
4. Complete an adoption consultation conducted by an adoption coordinator. This takes about an hour. We use this interview for you to get to know us better, and for us to get to know you better, including your previous experience, knowledge of living with and caring for a house rabbit, and preferences to help us help you find the right match for your family. We want to make the adoption successful for you and your family so that we know we have found a forever home for our rabbit or rabbits.
5. Once approved as an adopter after the consultation, we will work with you to arrange a time to do a "meet and greet."
6. At the meet and greet, you will meet several rabbits that would be good candidates for you according to your preferences, living arrangements, and feedback based on the rabbits' foster care providers who know their personality traits best. Here, if you meet your companion or companions, you'll complete an adoption contract, pay the adoption fee according to your adoption arrangements, and take your new companion home to become a member of your family and change your life!