All our adoptable pets are viewable on our SCHS Facebook page.
To learn more about us, visit our website Schuyler County Humane Society , where you can fill out an application, read our policies and more.
Currently, our adoption policies are as follows:
- SCHS only adopts dogs to homes that provide primarily indoor care. This means all adopted dogs must be kept indoors and must sleep indoors.
- Dogs can be leash walked or allowed to play in a fenced yard while supervised, but must be kept indoors at all other times.
- Adopted cats must be strictly kept indoors.
- All dogs and cats will be spayed or neutered (dogs micro chipped) in compliance with Illinois State Law.
- If the adoptive home is not owned by the adoptive party, the landlord will be contacted to verify if pets are allowed, all extra fees are paid, and all paperwork with the landlord is complete.
- The adoptive party will provide the name of the Veterinarian they use, and possibly other references (non-related). ALL parties will be contacted prior to the adoption. Hence, the animal will not be available the same day.
- We reserve the right to make a home inspection prior to the finalization of the adoption.
- The adoptive party must agree to maintain the health and well being of the pet for the life of that pet. This includes keeping them on an annual vaccination schedule, annual heartworm testing, and preventative parasite medication for dogs.
- All adoptions require a donation to be paid by the adoptive party to help cover a portion of the expense involved in the care, vaccinations and surgery of each adopted pet.
- Our adoption donation for cats/kittens is 60.00 (tax deductible). That covers a small portion of being spayed/neutered, tested for feline leukemia and FIV. They are also up to date on rabies and four-way distemper vaccines.
- Our adoption donation for dogs and puppies is 160.00 (also tax deductible). This will cover a portion of being neutered/spayed, heart worm tested, wormed and all dogs are up-to-date on Distemper/Parvo, Kennel Cough and Rabies vaccinations.
- Finally, we recommend that all family members visit and interact with the potential adoptee.
We welcome visitors Tuesday evenings 5-7 p.m. and Saturday mornings 9 a.m. to noon.
You may also schedule an appointment at a time that is more convenient for your schedule. Call 217-322-2220 if you have any questions or concerns, or send us a message on Facebook.
Schuyler County Humane Society