Northwest Florida Great Dane Rescue (NWFLGDR) is group of volunteers who devote their time and energy rescuing Danes from shelters, ASPCAs, and owners who must surrender their Dane due to hardship. We are entirely volunteer-based. We foster the Danes in our homes and evaluate and temperament test them until we can place them into a permanent home. We are a 501(c)3 organization based out of Pensacola, FL, serving a large coverage area from Jacksonville, FL across the I-10 corridor west, thru southern GA, along the FL, AL, MS Gulf Coasts and southern LA. All Danes are brought current on vaccines, microchipped, spayed or neutered, and heartworm tested prior to adoption.
Our adoption requirements are as follows:
1. All Dogs and Cats in your home MUST be spayed or neutered. We will call your vet to verify this. We allow exceptions in rare medical instances upon verification with your vet only.
2. All Dogs and outdoor Cats in your home MUST be current and have been kept historically up to date on annual vaccinations and monthly (or semiannual) heartworm and flea prevention. We will call your vet to verify this. We allow exceptions to this in rare medical instances upon verification with your vet, ONLY.
3. You must be a minimum of 21 years of age to adopt and be able to prove you're financially able to care for a great dane should a medical emergency arise.
4. You must own the property in which you live or your landlord must be willing to verify that you are allowed to have a Great Dane in your rental home. We check property records.?
5. Our Great Danes require a sturdy fenced in yard, particularly young or active danes. Generally, a six-foot or higher privacy fencing is preferred. In certain circumstances, the Board may waive this requirement depending upon the Dane's personality and temperament. Any such exceptions will solely be at the discretion of the Rescue Board. Under no circumstances will we consider invisible or electric fencing as acceptable.
6. We only adopt Dogs as indoor pets. We will not adopt Dogs to be used as guard dogs or to be kept out-of-doors.
7. A home visit is required for ALL adoptions, without exception. This is not a white-glove inspection, rather it is to ensure that the home is a safe environment for the Great Dane.
8. We do not transport. If you are applying from out of area or out of state, understand that if your application gets approved, you will be expected to pick up the dane in the location that he/she is being fostered. In addition, if the adoption does not work out, it is your responsibility to bring the dane safely back to us.
9. There may be multiple applications for the same Dog. Our Great Danes are placed in the home we believe most suitable for them, based upon their individual needs and temperament.
10. Before applying below, please expect this application process to take about two weeks. If you are applying from out of area or state, please expect a slight delay. It will take us more time to get the home visit set up. At any time, if you have questions about the status of your application, please email the rescue at email@example.com.