La Plata County Humane Society is committed to enhancing and protecting the lives of companion animals by ensuring the provision of sustenance, safety and shelter, educating the community regarding humane treatment of animals, and preventing pet overpopulation.
Before you begin your pet adoption journey, be sure you can answer "yes" to the questions below:
• Are you at least 21 years old?
• Do you have a valid photo ID with current address? (If your current address is not listed on your ID, you will need to provide a current utility bill or payment stub with your name and current address for verification)
• Do you reside where pets are welcome? (If you rent, landlord approval is required. Find out about pet deposits and fees prior to adopting)
• Are you able to care for the animal? It is an investment in time and money, so consider feeding, grooming, training, supplies and providing regular veterinary care.
Prior to adoption, think about what type of pet you would like to adopt. Are you ready to bring the pet home? Gather the goods: food, collar/tags, toys, beds and grooming supplies. Give yourself plenty of time to visit the shelter, meet with pet you are interested in adopting, and complete the application. The adoption process can take an hour or more depending on the animal. We also perform a required "meet n' greet" with any current pet/s you have. Your patience is appreciated during the adoption process.
The Adoption Process:
1. View our available pets online at lpchumanesociety.org. If you are interested in a pet for adoption, submit an online application under the "How To Adopt" page on our website. Make sure to include a copy of a valid photo ID and proof of address.
2. Once your application has been approved, a shelter team member will call you to set up an appointment. All adoptions are by appointment only. You will meet with the pet you're interested in adopting and one of our adoption counselors. They will help guide you in finding the perfect match for your family. If you’re adopting a dog and already have a dog living in your home, you will need to bring your dog/s in for a required “meet n’ greet” before adoption is approved.
4. If the pet is a match, you will complete the final adoption paperwork, pay the adoption fee and $10 license fee (all dogs are required by law to be licensed La Plata County). In most cases you can leave with your new family member right away. Cats must leave in a humane cat carrier and dogs are required to leave in a collar with a leash. Please remember to bring a humane cat carrier or dog leash and collar when you pick up your pet. If you do not have these items, we have them available for purchase.
5. Congratulation on your new family member! Please keep us updated; we love to hear from our adopters and how our alumni are doing. Email update to email@example.com.
day hours Monday 12:00 pm - 5:30pm Tuesday 12:00 pm - 5:30pm Wednesday 12:00 pm - 5:30pm Thursday 12:00 pm - 5:30pm Friday 12:00 pm - 5:30pm Saturday 12:00 pm - 5:30pm Sunday 12:00 am - 4:30pm