ADOPTION PROCEDURE American Shorthair Mix Murray, KY
Petfinder recommends that you should always take reasonable security steps before making online payments.
Meet ADOPTION PROCEDURE
The animal shelter’s mission is to reduce the homeless dog and cat population through adoption of spayed and neutered animals into forever homes.
Adoptions are done as quickly as possible. The validation process is thorough and varies only by how accurate the information is that we are given and how quickly information can be confirmed. Maximum processing time is a day or two. The shelter director has the right to deny any application not in the best interest of the animal or if false information is supplied or intentionally omitted.
The following guidelines are in place to help ensure a successful adoption:
1. You must be at least 21 years of age to adopt.
2. The adoption fee is $40.00.
3. The shelter director approves all applications.
4. Same day adoptions may be done if you have an approved application on file.
5. Adoptions are made to applicants only. We do not adopt pets to be given as gifts.
6. If you rent your home, please provide your landlord’s name and telephone number so we may verify pets are allowed.
7. We will contact your veterinarian to insure current pets are in good health and up-to-date on vaccinations. We will also inquire about a previous pet’s vet care.
8. Responsible pet ownership begins with sterilization, thus adopted animals must be spayed/neutered before being released by our facility. If your newly adopted pet has not been altered, then an appointment must be made by you at the veterinarian of your choice for this procedure. An animal shelter representative will then take your new pet to your chosen vet, where the animal will be released to you once surgery is complete and the animal is well enough to go home. You will be responsible for the cost of this procedure. Low-income spay/neuter assistance is available through the Humane Society of Calloway County. Please ask someone at the front desk for a form.
9. If your newly adopted pet is too young for sterilization, then a $80.00 good-faith deposit will be collected at the time of adoption. If paying this fee by check, the check will be cashed. This added spay/neuter step will help stem the tide of animals that end up in shelters, many ultimately facing euthanization. Sterilization of dogs is typically done at five to six months old, female cats may be done at 13 weeks or at least three pounds and male cats at 16 weeks of age. Once sterilization has been completed, take or mail proof of surgery to the Humane Society of Calloway County, 607 Poplar St. (in the Weaks Center), Murray, KY 42071. Your $75.00 deposit will be reimbursed, typically within one week.
10. An owner-surrendered animal is immediately available for adoption. A stray dog must be held for five days to give the owner an opportunity to reclaim the dog. During this timeframe, applications will be accepted in the event the dog is unclaimed.
11. We cannot “hold” an animal while a decision is being made on whether or not to submit an application.
There is no guarantee a healthy-appearing animal is not incubating an illness which may become obvious after you take him/her home. We suggest you take your new pet to your veterinarian immediately upon adoption. Any animal adopted into a multiple pet household should be confined from the rest of the pets for 10-14 days. This will allow time for any communicable illnesses to appear and be treated by your veterinarian without spreading to other pets. If within seven days from the date of adoption a serious health problem is discovered, you may return the animal to our shelter. Your $20.00 adoption fee will be refunded or arrangements made to adopt another animal. No other vet fees or expenses will be reimbursed.
Puppies and kittens are cute and make good pets, but please consider our adult and even senior animals. Older animals make excellent companions because they are typically housebroken and out of the chewing stage, require less exercise than younger ones and are often more like a companion than a playmate. Some of our adult animals are also already spayed, neutered and, if a cat, declawed. Declawing a cat is a cruel and stressful procedure, both physically and emotionally, to a cat or kitten. Please consider adopting a cat that has already been declawed if this is important to you.
Our employees are available to answer any questions prior to and following adoption. The experience of being in a shelter is traumatic and distressing for our animal friends. We try hard to make animals comfortable during their stay with us. Pet ownership is a big responsibility. Please research your decision to adopt before you apply.
All donations are tax deductible. Thanks for your support!
Checks payable to:
Murray-Calloway County Animal Shelter
81 Shelter Lane
Murray, KY 42071
Hours of operation:
Finding pets for you…
Finding pets for you…
- American Shorthair