Holiday Pet-Safety Tips and Costs

Tags: , , , , , , ,

The following is brought to you by our sponsor, PetFirst.

Learn more about how you can get $1,000 of accident and illness protection for newly adopted dogs and cats — for just $5 for the first month.

The holiday season is a wonderful time to make new memories with your family. That includes furry family members too! Just be sure those memories aren’t the kind made while waiting anxiously in an emergency veterinary clinic. Here is a list of important things you should watch for to help keep your pet safe during the holidays.

Holiday Pet-Safety Tips and Costs

Thinkstock

  1. Don’t throw your dog a bone.Bones are brittle and sharp pieces can get lodged in your pet’s esophagus or intestine. Because poultry bones are hollow, they can break especially easily.Sergeant Pepper, Bulldog from Villa Rica, GA
    Treatment for ham bone in GI tract
    Amount claimed: $1,010.26
    Amount reimbursed by PetFirst: $864.23
     
  2. Keep chocolate out of reach.Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which can be toxic to dogs. Make sure chocolate candies left out for guests are kept away from your dog.Sunny, Mixed Breed from San Ramon, CA
    Treatment for chocolate toxicity
    Amount claimed: $1,323.00
    Amount reimbursed by PetFirst: $1,145.70
     
  3. Keep a lid on the garbage can.During the holiday season, there is a lot of activity in the kitchen and several new, tasty smells flowing from the garbage can. Ensure your garbage can is covered because goodies found in the trash can present a significant risk for gastritis for pets and can also be a choking hazard for dogs and cats.Lucy, Basset Hound from Manchester, MD
    Treatment for gastritis from lasagna ingestion
    Amount claimed: $264.00
    Amount reimbursed by PetFirst: $192.60
     
  4. Watch out for holiday plants.Popular plants including poinsettia, mistletoe and holly can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Play it safe and contact your veterinarian if you believe your pet has been nibbling on one of these plants.Lillie, Havanese from Tamarac, FL
    Treatment for poinsettia ingestion
    Amount Claimed: $190
    Amount reimbursed by PetFirst: $126
     
  5. Store wrapping supplies away from pets.Pets who ingest ribbon or tinsel can develop a foreign body obstruction. Foreign body surgery can be traumatic and expensive. Keep ribbon and other string and tinsel put away and pick up loose wrappings quickly.Sylvester, Domestic Short Hair from Salisbury, MA
    Treatment for ribbon ingestion
    Amount claimed: $188.46
    Amount reimbursed by PetFirst: $124.61

Comments