The Friends of Lord Stirling Stable School Horse Retirement Program was established in 2003 as a means to find suitable new homes for horses retiring from the Lord Stirling Stable lesson program. The program ensures that retiring horses, which have worked so faithfully for us, continue to be loved & well cared for, even with their limitations. The program maintains funds to cover the costs of board & care for retiring horses until a suitable home can be found. Our goal is to ensure a bright future for our school horses.
The Adoption Process
1. View all of the horses available for adoption.
2. Complete FLSS School Horse Retirement Program's online Horse Adoption Interest Application.
3. Upon receiving and approving your Horse Adoption Interest Application, FLSS School Horse Retirement Program committee members will contact you to schedule an appointment to visit Lord Stirling Stables (or wherever the horse of interest is boarded). Expect two or more visits to determine compatibility of horse and handler.
4. If a match between a horse and potential adopter is successful, FLSS School Horse Retirement Program committee members will contact references and schedule an appointment to inspect the property where the horse will be kept.
5. If approved, make arrangements for transporting the horse to its new home. The adoption agreement will need to be completed along with the payment of the non-refundable adoption fee at the time of transport. You will receive a FLSSSHRP Yearly Horse Health Form which includes: the horse's current turnout schedule and diet, vaccination dates, farrier dates, dental procedure dates, deworming schedule and FEC results, current medications, blanket and tack sizing, behavioral information, and any additional recommendations for care of the horse. You will also receive copies of all veterinary records as well as a current Coggins Form.
6. The FLSS School Horse Retirement Program can occasionally transport the horse to the designated facility pending volunteer availability and distance.
Please visit our website for more details: http://www.flss.org/adoption-process--faqs.html