Saving the lives of dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens who are scheduled for euthanasia due to overcrowding at rural eastern Kentucky animal shelters.
The Way Home Rescue Alliance (TWHRA) is a 501(c)3 non-profit with the common goal of saving animals from high intake, high kill shelters in rural Kentucky that would otherwise be euthanized due to overcrowding . Being that we are a small group of volunteers, the main way we work to accomplish this goal is by networking the urgent animals in these shelters with rescues throughout the United States and even Canada. Our group then coordinates vetting for the animals and arranges transport for them to their respective rescues. When we have a foster home available, we will bring an animal into our rescue until they are adopted into a loving forever home. We also support legislation that improves on Kentucky's animal welfare laws, in addition to being strong advocates of spaying and neutering dogs and cats.
TWHRA is always in need of volunteers! There are several ways to volunteer your time to help the animals, including but not limited to:
1.Transporting animals (shelter pickups, taking to vet, taking to rescue)
2. Short-Term Fostering (fostering an animal for a few days to a few weeks until transport to its rescue)
3. Computer work (assisting with updating Facebook with the urgent animals at the shelter and sending out our daily e-mail blasts to our rescue partners)
If you are interested in volunteering, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for a volunteer application!
Other Ways to Help - Donate and Sponsor
If you don't have the time to devote to volunteering, but would like to help in some way, donations and/or sponsorship offers are a great way to do so.
Donations are used by TWHRA to keep our operations going! Vet care for dogs/cats that arrive in the shelter with medical emergencies, gas/maintenance/insurance for the van we use to transport animals, supplies (crates, collars, food, etc) are just a few of the things we rely on donations for. If you would like to make a secure tax-deductible donation, you can do so in one of two ways.
1. Send via Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. If your prefer to send your donation by mailed check, it can be made payable to TWHRA and mailed to our Treasurer: TWHRA, c/o Mary Pat Azbill, 144 Angel Spur Road, Berea, KY 40403. Please write 'donation' in the memo line.
Sponsorship is used to help us find rescue for the animals in the shelter that are most urgent and that we don't have a place for in our rescue. When you send sponsorship, the sponsorship amount is then attached to an urgent animal at the shelter, and that animal, with its sponsorship, is shared with our network of approved rescues. The sponsorship serves as an additional incentive for a rescue to step up to save an animal, as the sponsorship can be used for vetting/boarding expenses by the rescue while the animal is being prepared for adoption. You can sponsor an animal for whatever amount you would like, it's up to you! If you are interested in sponsoring a shelter animal in need of rescue, you can do so by:
1. Sending via Paypal to email@example.com . Make note that your donation is for SPONSORSHIP.
2. If your prefer to send your sponsorship by mailed check, it can be made payable to TWHRA and mailed to our Treasurer: TWHRA, c/o Mary Pat Azbill, 144 Angel Spur Road, Berea, KY 40403. Please write 'SPONSORSHIP' in the memo line.
Spay and Neuter
TWHRA strongly advocates spaying and neutering. If you are interested in getting your own pet spayed or neutered, the following clinics in the Central Kentucky area can provide these services. Please note that this is for information purposes only. We do not prefer one clinic over another.
Woodstock Spay/Neuter Clinic, Lexington, KY: 859-277-7729
All 4 Paws, Georgetown, KY: 502-370-4086
Critters Without Litters, Harrodsburg, KY: 859-734-0199
Hope Spay/Neuter Clinic, Versailles, KY: 859-873-HOPE (4673)
Bourbon County Low Cost S/N Clinic, Paris, KY: 859-293-9397