Many skin problems in dogs can be prevented. Here are a few basic steps to follow:
- Be sure to use a flea and tick preventive.
- Keep any wounds or skin injuries clean, dry and bandaged.
- Use hypoallergenic dog shampoo when grooming him, and chemical-free solutions when cleaning your home.
- Ensure his diet has no artificial ingredients and consider a supplement or specialty food containing essential fatty acids.
- Keep him away from other dogs who may be exhibiting signs of ringworm.
- Brush his coat frequently.
Taking these measures will help you ensure your dog’s skin is as healthy and comfortable as yours.
ASPCA. “Skin Problems.” (April 20, 2011)
Dunn, T.J., Jr. “Itch-And-Scratch-Bite-And-Lick!” PetMD. (April 20, 2011)
PetCareRx. “Skin Problems in Dogs.” 2010. (April 20, 2011)
VetInfo. “Common Skin Problems in Dogs.” 2010. (April 20, 2011)
WebMD. “Slideshow: Skin Problems in Dogs.” Oct. 20, 2009. (April 20, 2011)