This is an inline carousel of images and or videos of this pet.
- Texarkana, TX
- White / Cream
- Vaccinations up to date, spayed / neutered, special needs. ASTRO is DEAF, separation anxiety, and IBD- Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Good in a home with
- Other dogs, cats.
- Prefers a home without
- Adoption fee
***GO TO: BoxerRescueOfTexarkana.com to How to Adopt for Requirements and the online Adoption Application. Adoption fee is $275.
+UPDATED 9/26/18- ASTRO had his first seizure and took almost 24 hours to get back to himself. He has seen the Vet and we are closely monitoring for more seizures. Vet doesn't think this is related to his IBD. We will be recording any seizures and info to figure out what is going on.
*UPDATE 9/12/18- ASTRO, DEAF, 1.5 years old, 54 lbs, has been with us for 1 year. He does have mild IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) that is currently controlled with diet, but Vet wants Adopter to know he can have flare ups if gets stressed, change in homes, and change in diet. He is costing $140 a month for his restricted diet of Pro Plan Salmon and Rice Sensitive Stomach canned, dry and yogurt that he eats 3 x a day. We have it down as cheap as we can get it without him vomiting. If we up the amount of dry food then he vomits. He has to have the canned food with some dry. That is with price match at PetsMart and any discounts we can find. He is like Campus in not wanting to leave his Foster Home and can look so pitiful in pictures. His tail was between his legs at the Vet and at home that tail is up and curled and he is on GO! He is full of life, like a 2 year old kid full of too much energy, defiant at times like Boxers do, full of love, and loves playing with the other boxers. There are several issues and considerations with his deafness, IBD, separation anxiety, has to be crated, and behaviors in finding the right home for him. Needs someone with deaf and boxer experience. He is neutered, shots, rabies, microchipped, fecal and heartworm negative, and on heartworm prevention. He has to be an indoor dog with safe fenced in yard required. He needs at least a 5 feet fence. He has to have a companion dog his size to be his buddy since he is deaf and one who will play as Astro loves to play!
UPDATE 6/25/18- ASTRO is up to 53 lbs and looking so good! We have cut his feeding down to 2 cans + 1 cup of dry food + plain Greek Yogurt a day. He is eating Pro Plan Salmon/Rice Sensitive Stomach and Skin. He may not be able to eat just dry food but with it mixed with the canned food he does okay and cuts down the expenses. We continue to evaluate and change as needed. His poop is better but sometimes still have diarrhea that goes with IBD. ASTRO is not wanting to leave the house to go anywhere so working on that as a struggle to get to the van and then out of the crate when we get to the destination. He loves his foster home and has fit right in with the other deaf Boxers and is afraid he will lose his home. He is a love bug with a wild side you do not see with him at the Vet or Petsmart. He has to be crated in a very secure plastic crate due to separation anxiety. Like other deaf Boxers, he is very vocal barking and screeching when he can't see you. Needs to be older kids if there are kids and doggie proofed house as will get into things. He will need the right home for his special needs to understand his needs, He is not ready for adoption at this time as we work on several issues.
*5/4/18- ASTRO has been moved to a new Foster Home to work on separation anxiety, deaf commands, building confidence, and trying to get weight gain. He is up to eating 4 cans of Pro Plan Salmon and Rice and has not thrown up in 8 weeks. He needs more time to get ready for adoption. We are working on crate training without anxiety. He will get into things without supervision and new home needs to be doggie proof as best you can.
* 3/17/18- ASTRO has been transitioning to canned Pro Plan Salmon and Rice Sensitive Stomach from ID canned food and so far he is doing well. Vet wants us to try this for 3 weeks to see if works or no change, then we may have to change to another single protein canned food. He has gone to PetsMart for training on two Mondays which is the first time since he got sick several months ago. Love this sweet boy, He is skinny but seems to have more alert look in his eyes and such a love bug! He is always going to be a special needs Boxer being deaf and with IBD, He will need a home that can take care of his eating needs, problem solve, have a great Vet, and afford the care he will need the rest of his life.
* 2/23/18- He had a scope of esophagus, stomach and intestines. He has been vomiting, not gaining weight and not feeling well for several months. UPDATED results from Radiology and Biopsy reports show Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) and we will start with a slow change from ID food to another food for food allergies/intolerance and this will take some trial and error to find the right food. Vets are not sure this is all that is going on as suspected esophagus issues but none were seen. PRAYERS for ASTRO that we can find the right food and meds to help him! We know there are Adopters for special needs Boxers like Astro and why we are posting him.
* 2/26/18- ASTRO is still not gaining weight and eats 3 cans of ID food a day in a special slow down eating bowl elevated and still eats so fast and is always starving. He also vomits some after eating and is not feeling well. We got the test results back that he is does not have Pancreatic Insufficiency and doesn't have Mega Esophagus.
* 12/10/17- ASTRO has Esophagitis and eating canned ID food, 1/2 a can, 6 times a day for 3 cans a day ($225 a month). He finally gained 2 lbs.. He is on 2 meds to help the reflux and eating out of a special bowl to slow down his eating. We are getting him an elevated feeding station. He is an awesome deaf Boxer, loving, smart and love bug! He can use Sponsors to help with his expenses to get him well.
*Update ASTRO, DEAF, 9 months old, 42 lbs (needs to gain weight)., is still looking for his forever home. He did not have a good puppy life before we got him 2 months ago. He is adorable, smart, cuddler, has his long tail and dew claws, and is working on learning hand commands at Petsmart. He does have some separation anxiety and needs to be crated when you are not home. He does need more training on in and out of the car and walking with you as sometimes freezes and won't walk. He has to have another large dog in his home as he loves to play and needs a good role model and buddy. Astro needs the right home for his special needs and an adopter who has deaf experience to continue training him so he can be the best Boxer. He is house and crate trained and can bark loud like deaf Boxers do when you are not home. He is an awesome Boxer who happens to be deaf and wants to be loved and safe!
Ask About Astro-Deaf
- White / Cream
Boxer Rescue of Texarkana
Have an account?