Here at Petfinder we are all about new ways to promote adoptable animals. That’s why I’m so excited about Animal Planet’s new Kitten Cam, which live streams footage of adoptable kittens from the Washington Animal Rescue League (WARL) in Washington, DC. The camera launched this morning and is already captivating viewers with the adorable antics of kittens in one of WARL’s kitten enclosures. I’ve spent time myself with the pets waiting for homes at WARL and I’m thrilled that it hit on such an innovative way to promote its great animals.
I love that this live stream actively demonstrates to viewers that shelters have kittens and it is possible to adopt from a shelter or rescue group, even if you want a very young animal. The camera will operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide a dose of live cuteness anytime you need a boost. Eventually, when these little guys are ready for adoption, a new set of kittens will become stars on Kitty Cam. Far too many pet parents don’t understand the benefits and importance of spaying and neutering to not only curb behavior, but prevent unwanted litters from ending up in a shelter. It’s unlikely that WARL will run out of young kittens to film.
Although not every shelter or rescue group could host a live-streaming feed of their animals, here are five other great ways to promote pets.
- Take video of pets for their Petfinder profiles.
- Share an adorable pet a week on your Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or blog.
- If you live in an apartment building, see if your community room will host an adoption event. Or ask your boss to host a lunchtime adoption event at work!
- Print and post a pet’s flyer at your local coffee shop, watering hole or office fridge.
- If you have the space, foster a pet and promote him to all your visitors.
Check out the camera!