Andrea Arden, CPDT at Andrea Arden Dog Training in New York City, writes: You can teach your dog to enjoy bath time with brief — about 3-5 minute — sessions. Here’s how:
- Practice having her in the tub, if that is her bathing spot, with no water running at first. Running water can be scary for dogs, especially with a high-pressure faucet.
- Put down an inexpensive rubber bath mat so she doesn’t slip (slipping can add to her nervousness).
- Have her on leash and have a helper gently hold her as you let her lick from a sterilized bone (such as those made by Gimborn) stuffed with a creamy food like cream cheese or peanut butter. Gently brush her as she works on the bone.
Find out what to do next after the jump.
- Keep practicing this in short sessions until she is calm.
- Once your dog is calm in the tub, introduce water by taking a container of warm water gently pouring it on one of your dog’s feet.
- Gradually increase the length of time in the tub and the amount of water used until you can give her a full bath.
You might also like:
How to Give Your Dog a Bath