October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. We’ll be celebrating all month with adopted-dog Happy Tails, ways to find the perfect dog for you, tips for the first 30 days of dog adoption and more. We hope you proud dog adopters will join in as well. After all, what better way to encourage adoption than to celebrate your adopted dog?
Here are some fun, easy ways to celebrate Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month with your dog:
- Bring dog-themed goodies to your local shelter or rescue group. Thank the staff and volunteers at your local adoption group for all the lifesaving work they do. Bake some cookies in the shape of dog bones (and don’t forget to bring some treats for the shelter dogs, too!).
- Show off your pet-adopter pride. Visit the Petfinder store for a t-shirt,
or our friends at the Animal Rescue site for a “Rescued and loving it”
- Throw a “Gotcha Day” party. Celebrate the day you “got ya” dog with a party, and ask your guests to bring something to donate to your local shelter or rescue group.
- Tell others about Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. Promote one adoptable dog a day on Facebook or Twitter, or write an op-ed about dog adoption for your local paper. (Check out 10 ways to help pets for Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month for more ideas.)
- Attend an Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month dog walk or other event. You can find an event near you in our event calendar.
- Make a donation to your local shelter or rescue group. Contact your local adoption group and ask what they need, or donate cash in honor of your adopted dog.
- Sign up as a foster parent or shelter volunteer. Celebrate your adopted dog by helping other homeless dogs find homes. Sign up to walk dogs once a week during lunch, or take on a foster dog whom you can help find a home for.
- Photograph local adoptable dogs for their Petfinder profiles. Pictures are worth a thousand words — and good pet photos can save lives!
- Post a picture of your adopted dog on our Facebook wall. We may pick it as one of our favorite fan photos!
- Adopt another shelter dog! Check out our dog-adoption checklist for tips on finding the perfect pup for your whole family, then search Petfinder for an adoptable dog near you!
Can you think of something we missed? Tell us below!
You might also like:
Dog Adoption Tips for Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month