October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month: 5 reasons to adopt
Today marks the start of Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month, the perfect time to spread the word about all the wonderful dogs awaiting homes in shelters and with rescue groups nationwide.
It’s especially important to remember shelter dogs this year, when the lingering recession has put many shelters in a bad position, with pet relinquishment up and adoptions and donations down.
If you know someone who is planning to get a dog but hasn’t decided to adopt, please share this list with them.
5 Reasons to Adopt a Dog
- You WILL make a difference. If the problem of pets dying in shelters seems overwhelming, think about this: If just one in three people opted to adopt rather than buy a dog, no adoptable dogs would need to be euthanized for lack of a home.
- You will find your perfect match. With more than 174,600 adoptable dogs posted on Petfinder (an estimated 25% of them purebreds), you’re certain to find your perfect match.
- You’ll save time and money. Sure, shelters and rescue groups charge adoption fees, but you can easily find a pet who has been vaccinated, spayed or neutered and, quite often, trained. If you were to pay for those services yourself, you’d spend much more.
- You will receive unconditional love. Ask anyone who’s adopted: Rescued dogs just seem to know you saved them (especially older dogs), and they repay that act of kindness a thousandfold. How many times have we heard someone say their shelter pet in fact rescued them?
- You will not be supporting cruelty. Each dog adopted rather than purchased means less of a market for unhealthy, inbred puppies produced under cruel conditions in puppymill operations throughout the country.
And if you’re already planning to adopt a dog, we’ve got resources to help you choose your perfect match, prepare for his or her arrival and then make your new family member’s transition as smooth as possible. Check out our Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog page for more.
You might also like: