Iggy is a male Toy Xolo.
Iggy is looking for his forever home..
Iggy is an awesome boy who is waiting patiently for the right home to find him. If Iggy may be for you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet the Xoloitzcuintli
- The Xoloitzcuintli -- pronounced "show-low-eets-queen-tlee," or more commonly called the Xolo ("show-low") -- is often referred to as the Mexican Hairless, although the Xolo breed comes in both hairless and coated varieties.
- In addition to two coat varieties, this unique breed may also be found in three sizes -- Toy: 10 to 14 inches at the shoulder; Miniature: 14 inches to 18 inches at the shoulder; and Standard: 18 to 23 inches at the shoulder. Please note that these measurements are not exact.
- The Xolo is considered a "primitive" breed, one that was developed naturally in their native Mexico without a lot of human interference. Independent and intelligent dogs, they can be aloof with strangers while being very loving, loyal, and protective of their own family. Breed experience is not a requirement for adoption, but breed knowledge is essential. Please do your homework on this breed to be sure it is compatible with your home and lifestyle. Xolo's are similar to guard dog with a vermin hunting prey drive.
- We do not endorse, nor do we approve of, "Ugly Dog" contests.
About Xolo Rescue League
- The Xolo Rescue League (XRL) is a joint effort between volunteers across the United States and Canada. Our administrative office is located in Alberta, Canada, and our adoptable dogs are housed in foster homes throughout North America.
- We are dedicated to rescuing, rehabilitating, and placing dogs into loving homes. In addition to Xolos, we also rescue and place Chinese Cresteds, American Hairless Terriers, Peruvian Inca Orchids and hairless mixes thereof.
- We will do our best to help hairless dogs we are contacted about and will work with shelters and other rescue groups to help save hairless dogs in need.
- We do ship dogs when needed, although we are unable to ship to Hawaii or outside of North America.
- Please be aware that we never really know when we will have a specific type of dog in any one area, or how many dogs we will have for adoption at one time -- this fluctuates constantly.
Adopting a Friend: Our Process
- XRL does not operate on a first-come, first-served basis. All dogs are individually matched to the right home and family.
- All XRL dogs have basic health checks, heart worm tested, heart worm preventative and are fully vaccinated, micro-chipped and spayed or neutered prior to placement.
- Our basic adoption fee is 325.00 usd.
- We offer a special adoption fee of $162.50 for Senior Dogs (over 8 years) and Coated Xolos or Puff Cresteds , and hope you will consider adopting one of these lovable pets in need.
- Unless you are adopting a dog in your area or are willing to travel to pick your dog up from another area, be aware that you must plan on adding shipping fees, including the cost of a shipping crate, to have your dog sent to you. Shipping fees can run approximately $250 and up, depending on the size of the dog. Please ask us for an estimated shipping rate if you are interested in adopting a dog from out of your area.
- Adopters must be 25 years of age or older to apply to adopt. We do not adopt to homes with children under the age of five years. Children between the age of five and ten years will be considered depending on the dog and family.
- Most dogs will only be placed into homes with fenced yards. Smaller dogs and/or seniors MAY be placed in homes without fenced yards, depending on the individual dog, however we will not adopt to rural homes with no fenced yards and we do not consider invisible fencing to be adequate. If you decide to purchase a Xolo versus adoption, please contact us for a referral to a responsible and ethical breeder. Adopting from a responsible breeder is also a very important way to support rescue. Responsible breeders will always take back one of their dogs, breed for health and temperament, do not overproduce litters and are a lifelong support to their pet families, thus reducing the number of Xolos in rescue. In addition, responsible and ethical breeders are involved with or donate to rescue.The process for adopting a dog is outlined below
E-mail for an application- ** You must fill in an application prior to anything else. ** The Application Form must be complete, with all questions answered, and with as much detail as possible. If a question does not apply to you please use N/A. This is our first step in finding the right match for you. When your application is returned, and thought to be a possibility for the dog you are applying for, you will be called by the foster home of that dog. If, after speaking to the foster home, and if you BOTH decide it could still be a match, we will proceed. If you are not thought to be a match for this particular dog, you will be contacted and asked if a few other specific dogs interest you, as they might match your family better. If these choices are not to your liking, you can chose to be pre-approved for a dog that may come in to the rescue in the future, or you can close the file at this time. If you are continuing with the adoption, XRL will contact your references, as well as your vet and landlord, if applicable. To expedite your adoption process, please inform you references etc. that we will be contacting them. We need neighbors, bosses, supervisors etc. for references- not just friends. Following the reference checks, you will be called by a member for your individual interview. A home visit will be conducted following the telephone interview. All members of the home MUST be there for the visit. Your completed file will be sent to the Board, and you will be advised of their findings.
Help Us To Help Them
- Visit our Cafe Press Store for a great assortment of Xolo gifts and goodies! All proceeds from this store benefit the dogs in XRL's care.
- Check outPuppies are not Toys for an important message.
- Foster homes, help with shelter pick-ups and transport are needed all across the USA and Canada -- please email us if you would like to help!
Find Out More
Download Our Quarterly Newsletter! (36.2 MB, PDF)
Xoloitzcuintli Rescue League
15 Eastbrook Drive
Brooks, AB. Canada T1R 0H9
Phone: 403-793-2248 Fax 403-793-7915