Monicas Heart Greyhound Adoption
Please look at our "Foster Dog" list above to read about our current foster dogs in need of homes. Many, many successful adoptions have resulted in loving homes for greyhounds that have come to us from tracks all over the USA . Monica's Heart currently averages 80 adoptions per year.
For more information about Monica's Heart, visit www.monicasheart.com
Monica's Hearts Hounds & Humans will be participating at the following locations (please join us!):
(For more information on any of these events, see our contact list below).
- EVERY FRIDAY IN AUGUST – 6-8 PM – Ice Cream Social FOR DOGS! Wiscoy for Animals, 424 West Aaron Drive, State College, PA – this is LOTS of fun. Dogs get frozen yogurt (like Frosty Paws) and humans get ice cream cups.
- August 2 - 11 AM-2 PM - Meet and greet, Petsmart, 270 Marketplace Blvd., Selinsgrove, PA
- August 9 - 11 AM-3 PM - Meet and greet, Tractor Supply Company, 1399 Columbia Blvd., Bloomsburg, PA
- August 9 – 11 AM-2 PM - Meet and greet, Petco, 320 South Lycoming Mall Road, Muncy, PA
- August 10 - Shade Central City Heritage Days, Central City, PA
- August 15-16, Sunbury River Festival, Sunbury, PA. Friday noon til 6 PM, Saturday 9 AM til 6 PM
- August 23 - 11 AM-2 PM - Petco, 80 Plaza Drive, Bloomsburg, PA (near Walmart)
- NO MEET AND GREETS AT ALTOONA OR JOHNSTOWN PETCO STORES IN JUNE, JULY OR AUGUST - NEXT ONE IS SEPTEMBER 28
- NO MEET AND GREETS AT PETCO, BIG FLATS, NY OR CREATURE COMFORTS BINGHAMTON, NY IN JULY OR AUGUST. ALSO, NONE AT THE NEW YORK TRACTOR SUPPLY STORES UNTIL SEPTEMBER.
News New Kids On The Block
Whether you're looking for a lively, active walking companion or a calm, quiet couch-potato, we have your dog! PLEASE look at all of our beautiful greyhounds (click on FOSTER DOGS above)! One just may be "perfect" for your situation.
Who We AreMONICA'S HEART is a non-profit organization incorporated in December 1996 located in Central Pennsylvania. We are an all volunteer organization dedicated to finding good homes for GREYHOUNDS who have finished their racing careers.
Our greyhounds have raced at a variety of tracks in various states. They are fostered in members' homes when they first arrive from the track or adoption kennel. During this transition period, they are taken to the vet for immunizations, fecal exams, dentals, spay/neuter, heartworm test and any medical problems. Our adoption fee of $195.00 helps to defray kennel and veterinary expenses for all dogs prior to adoption. Your dog will come to you with a fleece coat, collar and leash set, adoption reference manual, grooming brush and a wealth of information.
Adopting a Friend"Adopt a Greyhound & Make a Fast Friend" is a motto that greyhound owners find true! These dogs are an extremely loyal, loving, gentle breed of dogs who thrive on attention and human companionship. Perhaps the most endearing quality possessed by almost all greyhounds is the strong bond it forms with those who care for it.
Racing greyhounds have lived in a kennel most of their lives. As a pet, the changes in their environment, lifestyle, and expected behavior will require a period of adjustment that can last from a few days to a few weeks. It is a testimony to their intelligence and temperament that they adjust to our world as adult dogs as quickly as they do.
Greyhounds are sight hounds and must be kept on a leash or in an entirely fenced in area when not on a leash. They run at high speeds & can be several miles from home in a matter of minutes if left to run. Although they love to run, greyhounds are sprinters rather than long-distance runners & require no more exercise than your average dog of another breed.
Volunteering and DonationsFunding for Monica's Heart operations is totally dependent on adoption fees, memberships, subscriptions, fund raisers, donations, and volunteer efforts of it's members. Membership is open to all who want to benefit the Greyhounds that need a good home when they can no longer race (usually between 2 - 4 years of age). We will gladly accept any donation of time, skills, or one time contribution.
"The more Monica's Heart grows, the more dogs will benefit"!
Come Visit Us!Monica's Heart is located in the Altoona area of PA. We are about 100 miles east of Pittsburgh and 120 miles west of Harrisburg. We do not have a kennel, but foster the dogs in our own homes. There are two foster homes in ALTOONA, one in West Milton PA, and one in in the Northumberland County/Shamokin area of PA. In addition, we also have 2 foster families in New York, close to the Binghamton area.
Monicas Heart Greyhound Adoption
1408 E. Hamilton Lane
Altoona PA 16602 (JUDY)
ALTOONA: 814-942-3145 (KAY) firstname.lastname@example.org
ALTOONA: 814-943-1475 (PEG) email@example.com
SHAMOKIN: 570-644-2358 (LINDA) firstname.lastname@example.org
BINGHAMTON NY: 607-648-4342 (JACK)email@example.com
CAMPBELL NY: 607-527-8370 (LISA) firstname.lastname@example.org
[Home] [Information] [Shelters] [Search]