Adopting a friend
The process for adopting a pet from A Forever Home Rescue Foundation (AFH) is as follows:
- Review the Adoption Information Sheet for some important information concerning adopting from A Forever Home Rescue Foundation.
- Complete the Dog Adoption Application. You can submit your application via fax to 1-866-863-6890, scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by mail to P. O. Box 222801, Chantilly, VA 20153-2801 (NOT recommended! due to the delay in delivery), or in person at one of our adoption events.
- Complete an interview with an AFH volunteer adoption counselors.
- AFH will complete a veterinarian reference check for any animals that you have been responsible for as an adult.
- AFH will conduct a home visit. At the home visit, we are looking to ensure that you can provide a safe, comfortable home for your new pet.
- Complete the Adoption Contract and, if appropriate, the Spay/Neuter Agreement, and pay the appropriate non-refundable adoption fee ($375)
The Adoption Contract & Spay/Neuter Agreement are linked here for reference only - do not fill out these forms!
(Dog Adoption Contract)
NOTE: AFH cannot accept payment via credit card. All payments must be in the form of cash or certified funds. While not necessary and totally optional, AFH welcomes tax-deductible donations that can be made in addition to the adoption fee.
NOTE: AFH makes every attempt to schedule home visits in a timely manner. Please understand that we are all volunteers who have families, jobs, pets, etc. that may impact our ability to conduct your home visit as quickly as you would like! It is our goal to place the newly adopted pets as quickly as possible - we feel this is best for both the pet and the adoptive family (not to mention that it frees up a space for us to save another animal!). Please be patient!
- Upon completion of the required paperwork, you will be told how to coordinate with the foster home to take possession of your new pet. Once you have taken possession of your new pet, you are 100% responsible for all aspects of your pet's care.
NOTE: AFH does not guarantee the health of any animals offered for adoption. Any time you adopt an animal, you should take it to a licensed veterinarian as soon as possible. Your animal is, to the best of our knowledge, healthy, but will need to be started immediately on a program of preventative veterinary care. Please be aware that the animals available for adoption are rescue animals and, as such, have often been exposed to a variety of diseases. Like human illnesses, these disorders can have an incubation period of up to several weeks. If the animal you adopt shows signs of illness at any point, you must take it promptly to your veterinarian for treatment.
- By Virginia law all animals that are adopted from a rescue/shelter/SPCA must be spayed/neutered by the age of six months. If the animal you adopt is not altered, you will be required to complete the Spay/Neuter Agreement. This form requires you to have your adoptive pet altered, at your own expense, by the age of six months. You are also required to submit the completed Spay/Neuter Agreement to AFH as verification that the sterilization has been completed. AFH is very serious about Spaying/Neutering of all adopted pets; failure to comply with these requirements can result in the forfeiture of your pet and civil prosecution to the maximum extent of the law.
- Enjoy your new pet! This is the good part - you've been looking forward to making an addition to your family, now it's finally true - your new pet is living with you! Please follow through and take take the time to get to know your pet. For dogs, obedience training is absolutely essential! We cannot over-emphasize the value of taking your newly adopted dog to a series of quality obedience lessons. This will provide you with the tools necessary to manage behavioral issues before they become behavioral problems. We find that families who follow through with even basic obedience training have a much more enjoyable relationship with their pets.
How you can help
- Cash Donations -- Please donate generously so that AFH can help more dogs in need. 100% of your tax-deductable donations go directly to the care of our animals. Donations can be made online at www.aforeverhome.org, at any of our adoption events or they can be mailed to: P.O. Box 222801, Chantilly, VA 20153-2801.
- Donation of Supplies -- It is puppy season again so we are in desperate need of newspapers. We have many litters waiting in the wings to be adopted and can always use newspapers, crates, cages, leashes, collars, and food. These items can be dropped by any of our adoption events.
- Volunteer -- As a 100% volunteer-run organization, we cannot function without your help. In particular, we need: foster homes, transporters for adoptions and vet visits, handlers at adoption days, and helpers at fundraising events. If you think you would like to help, e-mail: email@example.com.
NOTE: Email is the preferred contact method. Email will typically receive a response within 24 hours. Phone calls are difficult for us since we all work full-time jobs and cannot return calls until late in the evening. Please use email whenever possible!
A Forever-Home Rescue Foundation
P.O. Box 222801
Chantilly, VA 20153-2801
Phone: (703) 961-8690 -- Please use email if possible! We normally respond to email within 24 hours, our response time with the telephone is nowhere near that good...