Adopting A Friend
How To Adopt An Animal From Burlington Humane
You must visit the shelter in person to complete an application form. There are separate forms for either Dog or Cat adoptions. Once the form has been completed, you will meet with one of our adoption counsellors to discuss your application in more detail to better clarify the best fit for an animal in your home. This process should take about ten minutes to complete.
Once the application has been approved, you are welcome to accompany one of our volunteers on a tour of the cat rooms or dog kennels to meet our current residents!
Cats and Kittens can be adopted that same day. The adoption process for Dogs is approximately a three week process. We accumulate all prospective adopter’s applications for a particular dog and encourage that potential adopter and their family to visit the shelter to interact with the Dog. An evaluation of all prospective adopters is completed with the objective of finding the best fit for the Dog in question.
If you do not meet your match on your first visit, we will keep your completed application on file for about four months.
We look forward to meeting you at the shelter soon!!
Who We Are
The Burlington Humane Society is a non-profit organization which operates solely on the generosity of donations from the public. We are dedicated to helping stray and abandoned animals in Burlington. Our mission is to improve the quality of life and welfare for animals in our community, to provide a safe haven while we find “forever homes” for the cats and dogs in our care, and to make Burlington a more humane city for all animals.
Our vision is to sustain our reputation as being a premier “no-kill” humane society in Ontario. We strive to continually improve our protocols and practices in order to ensure exemplary care for our residents and to act ethically and in the best interests of both animals and potential adopters.
We want the Burlington Humane Society to be the best possible place for:
- Our animals to receive loving and responsible care
- Our potential adopters to be treated with respect and kindness
- Our dedicated and cherished volunteers to have an opportunity to use their skills in an effective manner and feel appreciated for all they do
- Our valued employees to work as a team to develop creative solutions for the best possible animal care while providing superior customer service
- Our members to feel as though they are part of a first class Humane Society
- The public to receive valuable education on animal practices and care
- All involved to have fun and take pride in being associated with a winning and well run organization
Burlington Humane Society’s Ultimate Goal:
To live in a city where there are no abandoned, unwanted, neglected or abused animals, and where every owner understands the level of commitment and responsibility that pet ownership entails.
Come Visit Us
Burlington Humane Society
740 Griffith Court
Tuesday-Saturday: 10am - 5pm
Contact Burlington Humane Society formerly Animal Aid