Currently we hold adoption days at various locations. Check our website for times and locations. We have cats/kittens available to be seen during regular business hours at the following locations:
Canal Town Pet Shop & Grooming, 2139 N. Union Street, Spencerport, NY 14559 (585) 349-3494
Shelter hours at 10 Dubelbeiss Lane by appointment only (585) 342-6099 (pd#789)
Vary from $50 to $125.00 based on age and other variables. Prices subject to change without notice.
ALL kittens/cats are spayed/neutered and up to date on all vaccinations, prior to adoption, making our prices amazingly affordable.
Did you know that black cats are the most overlooked for adoption?
Why would this be? It is difficult to get a good picture to post , it is difficult to see them in crates at adoption days, some people are superstitious, some people think they are too boring a color.... probably some other reasons not listed....
We have faith in our shelter and the community that supports us, SO here is how we are working to change this statistic...
* We coordinate with professional photographers that volunteer their
time/skill to photograph our cats.... lots of nice black cat photo's on
* Our adoption sites have good lighting so our cats are easy to see.
* We did some research and learned that most black cats are actually tabby cats with a resessive black gene. In the wild this is documented to occur with leopards and jaguars and when it does the animal is called a "Panther". So the black cats in our shelter are referred to as "Domestic Petite Panthers". Now that is just a cool thing to have in your house!!!!
* Many cultures connect black cats with royalty and believe them to bring positive energy and good luck to the home.
* Black cats look great with any home decor. They are kinda like the "little black dress" of the domestic animal world!!!!
If you are interested in adopting one of our "domestic petite panthers", please call 342-6099 to make arrangements to meet some!!!
Who We Are
Founded in 1953, the Animal Service League is an all-volunteer organization concerned with the rescue, care and welfare of homeless domestic animals in the Rochester New York area. Cats, dogs, birds and other domestic animals in need of shelter and veterinary help are cared for until they can be restored to their original owners or new homes found. No animal is ever destroyed for lack of a permanent home. The animals are cared for on a temporary basis in our Haven Homes until they are ready to be placed in a permanent home.
Adopting a friend
Here is our adoption process:
1. Stop into one of our adoption sites (listed above) or make arrangements to meet the pet by e-mail, or by calling (585) 342-6099.
2. Complete an Adoption Application. For your convenience an application can be downloaded from the ASL website. (www.animalserviceleagueny.org)
3. Next an ASL volunteer will do a home visit and interview. We prefer to adopt our animals within a 60 mile radius of Rochester, NY.
4. Make final decision and prepare home for new pet.
5. Make arrangements with a ASL volunteer to bring your new pet home! At this time you will sign an Adoption Agreement.
Please check our website for more information about our organization.