Dogs Deserve Better is a nonprofit organization dedicated to freeing the chained dog, and bringing our 'best friend' into the home and family.
We are a chained dog and penned dog education, legislation, and rescue 501c3 nonprofit group. We are based in VA, but now have reps all over the country. We are working to change laws and educate society that it's not OK for a dog to live chained or penned. Dogs long to be part of the family, they are not lawn ornaments, they are living beings deserving of love and respect. Please consider adopting a chained dog today.
Adoption procedures include an adoption application, reference check, home check and adoption contract.
The Adoption fees for Dogs Deserve Better – Missouri Fees are $125.00 for adults and $150 for puppies under 6 months. All dogs adopted to their new caretakers will be up to date on shots, tested for heartworms and any other worms and/or parasites, spayed/neutered, and micro chipped.
You may e-mail or call the contact person found on the Pet Finder page directly to find out more about a particular pet.
Come visit Dogs Deserve Better at the Annual "Paws in the Park" in September at Stevens Park on Broadway in Columbia. Paws in the Park is the largest Dog Event of the year in Columbia and is a fun filled day of refreshments, treats, games and giveaways for the whole family, including the family Dog!
Dogs Deserve Better MO has many fundraisers and adoption events throughout the year. Please visit our Facebook page "Dods Deserve Better MO for upcoming eventsB>
Dogs Deserve Better is also having a "Penny Drive". Save those annoying pennies that fall behind the couch cushions and weigh down your purse and pockets. Save them up or donate pennies that you already have! E-mail PowerofthePaw@yahoo.com for instructions to redeem these precious pennies and help stop animal abuse and raise public awareness.
Dogs Deserve Better would love to have you as a volunteer in the Columbia, MO area!
Where do your strengths lie? Do you have a passion for helping these dogs? Do you have a dog in the community living this way, and need to do something about it? Let us know what you'd like to do to help. Area reps are available to answer your questions and advise you as to how you can help in the community.
Here are some concrete ways to make a difference TODAY:
Contact Area Rep, Melody Whitworth at PowerofthePaw@yahoo.com to volunteer in many of the following ways:
1. Get brochures and put them out in your area, vets offices, restaurants, travel plazas, feed stores and pet shops.
2. Work to change laws.Very important! Sign up to be notified when County and City board meetings are to be held. Making an appearance and showing support for stronger laws in the Community is essential.
3. Print and hang our 11x17 posters or flyers and hang them all around your town, grocery stores, laundromats, telephone poles.in your neighborhood.
4. Get donations or negotiate a free billboard in your local area with our 2004 billboard design.
5. Volunteer for tabling events.
6. Become a Foster Parent!
7. Provide "home checks" for other Foster Parents.
8. If you are already involved in a youth group or have access to speaking in classrooms or libraries, please contact Melody Whitworth at PowerofthePaw@yahoo.com to set-up a presentation to help education our younger citizens about the detriments of chaining dogs in our community.