IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ANY OF THE ANIMALS IN FOSTER CARE,
PLEASE CONTACT THE FOSTER PERSON DIRECTLY
Who We Are
The Montgomery County Humane Society
(MCHS) in Rockville, Maryland, is a non-profit animal welfare organization that has provided animal sheltering services for Montgomery County for over 50 years. Our funds are provided from private donations.
MCHS can only continue to operate with your help. Please visit our website
or call us to see how you can help.
Offsite Adoption Events
Schedule is subject to change.
Washington Post’s Montgomery Weekly Animal Watch column also prints our schedule on Thursday.
Adopting a friend
In adopting a pet, you accomplish something remarkable: you literally save a life. MCHS takes pride in its adoption program. Whether unwanted by its previous owner or picked up as a stray and never claimed, each animal has suffered the fear and misery of being homeless. This is why the MCHS makes every effort to ensure that pets are placed only in good homes where they will be wanted, looked after, and loved for the rest of their lives. We appreciate your patience during our adoption process, which may take 3-5 days in order to ensure that each animal goes only to a home that truly wants it.
The purpose of our adoption program is to place an animal in a responsible home where it will:
- Receive veterinary care when needed
- Not add to the pet overpopulation problem
- Be controlled so it will not roam free in the neighborhood
- Be happy with its owner and vice versa
WE ARE LIMITED TO LOCAL ADOPTIONS IN THE MD/DC/VA AREA. The adoption process begins when you visit the animals. Please contact the foster volunteer for more information and to set up a time to visit. Once you have visited with the animal(s) you are interested in adopting, you fill out an application for adoption. A staff member will contact you within a few days of filing your application in order to set up an interview. If your application is approved following your visit, you may come to pick up your pet.
Our Standards for Adoption:
- Adopters will allow for a minimum of 30 days as an adjustment period for the animal to adjust to his new environment and family.
- Animals will be placed with adults to be kept as companion animals. Adopters must be at least 18 years of age. Identification is required to adopt any pet. All adults living in the household must agree to the selection of the chosen pet.
- Adopted animals are to be accepted as family members, receiving proper nourishment, medical care and attention. Continuous outdoor confinement is not acceptable. Dogs may not sleep outside.
- All animals must be spayed or neutered prior to adoption.
- We discourage the adoption of puppies or kittens into homes with very young children.
- We will not place puppies into homes where no one is home during the day. Young animals need special attention and care in order to become properly trained and socialized.
- All dogs must be kept from roaming free. Dogs should never be left unattended in a yard. Chaining is not acceptable. Dogs will not be placed in homes where they will be allowed to run at large.
- All cats must be kept as indoor pets. Cats live longer, safer, happier and healthier lives when kept indoors with their human companions.
- Animals cannot be adopted as gifts. Animals shall not be given or away or sold to another individual; they must be returned to MCHS if the adopter can no longer keep and care for the animal properly.
- All animals must have collars with owner identification tags, rabies and license tags. If your animal is lost, a tag may be the only way to have your pet returned to you.
- All animals must be examined by a veterinarian within five days of adoption. In the event an animal is sick at the time of adoption, you may be required to see a veterinarian immediately. If the veterinarian's exam indicates that the animal has a serious illness, MCHS should be notified immediately.
- Permission of the landlord is required of persons living in rental property. The landlord or rental agency will be notified personally.
[Home] [Information] [Shelters] [Search]