Adopting A Friend
Thank you for choosing to adopt an animal. The Humane Society of Harford County (HSHC) consists of a small group of dedicated people – paid staff and many volunteers - working very hard to find homes just like yours for more than 4,500 homeless pets each year. We rely on the generosity, care, and compassion of our community to aide in this life saving work.
By choosing to adopt a pet, you have already joined the ranks of those saving lives and for that we thank you. Through this process we hope that your life with your new pet will be happy and fulfilling. Because adopting a pet is a life-long commitment and not one to be entered into lightly, we ask that you read the below adoption process carefully and help us to help you find your new family member.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Possess a valid Driver’s License or State Identification Card
- Either own your own home or, if you rent, provide a copy of your lease or notarized letter from your landlord stating you can have pets, complying with all limitations
- Have a working telephone number and an emergency contact person and telephone number
- Have all members of the family or residents of the home present to meet the potential pet
- Have proof that your resident pets are current on all vaccines
- Be prepared to bring any resident dogs in to introduce to all potential adoptable dogs prior to adoption
Your satisfaction is very important to us. Our goal is to make every possible effort to ensure the adoption process is as simple as possible, while still ensuring that all animals are placed responsibly.
WE ASK THAT YOU READ CAREFULLY AND UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS:
- Pets are adopted “as is” – We do NOT make any guarantees as to the health, age, and/or temperament of any pet we adopt out.
- A pet CANNOT be adopted as a gift for another person.
- ALL Animals adopted from HSHC must be spayed or neutered after adoption. A $50 refundable deposit is required at the time of adoption.
- If an animal is placed on “Hold” due to medical concerns or a stray hold, HSHC will accept three adoption applications per animal. These applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. When an animal becomes available, the adoption’s staff will contact those individuals listed on the first application. Should the need arise, they will then move to the second and third applications submitted.
- Once an animal becomes available for adoption, they are adopted on a “FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED” basis. Although we do not condone, there are those who “camp out” waiting for the shelter to open.
- The shelter front gates open at approximately 6:30am, however NO adoptions will be processed until the shelter opens for business that day. Adoption hours are as follows: M-F 11:00am – 6:00pm, Saturday 10:00am – 5:00pm, Sunday 12:00pm – 4:00pm. Please understand that we have no control over when people choose to arrive.
- We retain the right to REFUSE an adoption to anyone.
- We accept cash or major credit cards. Sorry, no checks.
- Puppies & Purebreds: $250
- Dogs 1-5 years: $160
- Dogs 6 years and older: $95
- Kittens 8 weeks - 6 months: $125
- Cats 7 months - 5 years: $95
- Cats 6 years and older: $45
Includes 1st set of distemper, rabies vaccination (4+ months), feline leukemia & AIDS testing, spay or neuter procedure, de-wormer, flea/tick preventative, microchip & general exam.
- Rabbits: $25
- Guinea Pigs: $20.00 NOTE: Guinea pigs are not adopted for breeding purposes. Guinea pigs who are not spayed/neutered are only adopted to homes where they will not have contact with intact guinea pigs of the opposite gender.
- Rats: $10
- Hamsters, Gerbils and Mice: $5
Please inquire about the adoption fee of all other animals.
Who We Are
The Humane Society of Harford County, Inc., is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) charitable organization dedicated to the welfare and well-being of the approximately 4,500 animals that come to us each year.
The Humane Society of Harford County promotes the humane treatment of homeless, stray and abandoned animals by providing shelter, care, adoptions and community education.
We are not a county agency nor are we affiliated with any national or regional organization. Your tax-deductible donations, bequests, and proceeds from events are crucial to our life-saving efforts on behalf of the animals of our community. Subscribe to "The Dish" our monthly e-newsletter to get the latest animal news and updates: http://www.harfordshelter.org/index.php?page_id=394
Monday - Friday: 11am - 6pm
Saturday: 10am - 5pm
Sunday: 12pm - 4pm
Rebel's Dog Park Hours
Monday - Friday: 7am - 6pm
Saturday: 7am - 5pm
Sunday: 7am - 4pm
Come Visit Us
Address: 2208 Connolly Road, Fallston, MD 21047
Main Website: www.harfordshelter.org
Contact Humane Society of Harford County