ARNO (Animal Rescue New Orleans)
Our Featured Pet...
Visit Our Website for the Latest News
Click on http://www.AnimalRescueNewOrleans.org to read the latest news on rescues, information on fostering a pet in your home (must be within 30 miles of New Orleans), hospice fostering a senior pet or a pet with treatable or manageable special needs, volunteering for shelter animal care or as volunteer at adoption events or fundraisers.
Who We Are
Animal Rescue New Orleans (ARNO) is an organization created for and dedicated to the rescue and aid of abandoned and homeless animals in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. ARNO's response includes, but is not limited to, immediate medical needs, as well as rescue of those animals who have been neglected, abused and deprived of loving care. ARNO promotes the foster, adoption, and reunion of pets with their original caretakers, as well as spaying/neutering of all companion animals.
Our shelter is maintained by our volunteer staff, so please understand animal care is our first priority, and while we love visitors we must ask that you come during public hours. Our public hours are from 3pm to 7pm, 365 days a year. See our adoption procedure below before you come to see a pet that you are interested in adopting.
We serve the Greater New Orleans area, including all parishes whose animals were effected by Hurricane Katrina. Animal Rescue New Orleans, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and all donations are tax deductible to the full extent the law allows. ARNO sustains its existence from donors from all over North America, and we are grateful for their belief in us and our mission. Our volunteers continue to work remotely for us with fundraisers and administrative help via the internet.
Adopting a friend
Pets are introduced to their potential foster or adoptive parents once an application is fully approved, and by appointment only. Contact by email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for an adoption application. You can make an appointment through the adoption counselor at email@example.com. Our Adoption Process: If you are intereted in fostering or adopting a pet, we require:
1. a completed adoption application that will be reviewed, along with references from your current and past veterinarian
2. a home visit/yard check is scheduled with you
3. once the app. is approved, there is a final review to make sure the pet you are chosing is right for you, your family, and/or your lifestyle.
4. you meet your approved pet(s)
5. adoptors sign a contract stating that the animal will be kept healthy through regular visits to your veterinarian, continue on heartworm & flea medication for the rest of the pet's life, and that if you ever have to surrender the pet they will only be returned to ARNO or their agent
6. contract also states that if you fail to comply with any or all of the contract ARNO has the right to take possession of the pet
7. adoption fee is a donation that helps us pay for medical and sheltering expenses; the adoption donation is typically $100.00 for cats & $200 for dogs, depending on our cost to vet the animal. This includes spaying or neutering, and age appropriate inoculations and tests deemed necessary for the animal's health (such as FIV /FeLV testing, deworming, rabies, etc.). We adopt to out-of-state homes, the same adoption procedure applies (we use rescue co-partners in your area to do home visits and yard checks) and transportation will be at the expense of the adoptor. We can suggest many avenues of transportation on where in the country you live.
Volunteer for ARNO
Please consider volunteering with ARNO and helping us at our shelter, even if you can only give us a few scheduled hours a week, once a week, twice a week...or a day on the weekend. Walking dogs, cleaning kennels, doing 'dishes,' and laundry are constrant chores. Need community service hours? Come to ARNO! To volunteer contact firstname.lastname@example.org and you can find out more info at our website at http://www.animalrescueneworleans.org and click on "Volunteer."