About Heartland SPCA
Because we knew we could accomplish more together than as independent agencies, Animal Haven and No More Homeless Pets KC officially merged on June 15, 2011 to form Heartland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Heartland SPCA is Kansas City's most comprehensive animal welfare organization and is a Missouri 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization.
At the Heartland SPCA, we believe that no matter what their size, shape or story, all dogs and cats deserve the chance to live long, happy and healthy lives. That's why our team of experts works hard every day to be a lifeline to a better future for pets by providing comprehensive, affordable medical care, adoption services and innovative community programs. Because we know that with a little support, people and pets can build a bond unlike any other, creating happier homes and a community that values life, love.
Leadership at the Heartland SPCA is comprised of experienced business professionals and experts in the animal welfare field. Collectively, our Executive Leadership Team has over 65 years of experience in this industry. In addition, we are fortunate to have the support of highly respected business leaders on our Board of Directors and in our community to help us drive our mission forward.
Our community will benefit from the following services provided by Heartland SPCA:
- Humane, compassionate sheltering of homeless animals
- Pet Adoptions & Lost Pet Reunions
- Comprehensive, affordable veterinary care for shelter animals and owned pets
- High-quality/low-cost spay neuter programs for the public
- Broad community outreach and education programs
- Effective volunteer, foster, rescue and transport programs
- Trap, neuter and return for feral and free-roaming cats
- Targeted pet retention and behavior training programs
- Pet ID and licensing programs increasing return to owner rates
- Management of lost/stray pets for 12 Johnson County municipalities
Adoptions at Heartland SPCA
All Heartland SPCA adoptable pets are microchipped to provide a permanent form of identification! The adoption fee will include the HomeAgain microchip implantation, activation, and a one-year membership in the Advanced Recovery Network for no additional charge.
The dog adoption fee ranges from $70-$250. The cat adoption fee is $75 for adults and $90 for kittens. Our adoption fee includes many valuable services, including spay/neuter, microchip identification, current vaccinations, flea preventative, feline leukemia test (cats), heartworm preventative (dogs), deworming, a bag of Science Diet food (4 lbs. cat food, or 5 lbs. dog food), and special deals on local pet products and services. Adopters also receive a free or discounted post-adoption examination at participating veterinary clinics (adopted pets should see their own veterinarian within the first seven days in a new home).
Adoption applications are available at the shelter after you and your entire family (including current dog) have spent some quality time with one of our furry friends. For out-of-state adoptions, regular adoption protocols apply. Heartland SPCA does not ship pets.
There are many things to consider before adopting a homeless pet:
- Do I have enough time to care for a pet?
- Do I possess the financial resources necessary to provide veterinary care, premium food and supplies to the furry family member?
- What do I know about this breed?
- Is this breed too active for me?
- Will the pet still be welcome when & if when I decide to have children?
- Do I have the time or patience for a kitten or puppy?
- Should I adopt an adult pet who already is house & obedience trained?
- Am I on the fast-track at work and will I have enough time to provide quality care to a dog? Is a cat a better companion for me?
- Am I looking to adopt simply because my heart goes out to homeless pets? Is this an impulse adoption? Am I doing this for my kids when I KNOW I'll be the primary caregiver?
Please think long and hard before welcoming a pet into your life. The pets at Heartland SPCA have already been homeless once; Heartland SPCA works diligently to ensure that adopted pets are welcomed into forever homes.