Interested in saving a life??? We rescue from very high kill shelters in Kentucky, These shelters are very isolated, with high intake. These animals have no hope with out rescue and fosters. We are always in need for fosters! Please contact email@example.com.
Who We Are
The mission of Starfish Animal Rescue is to rescue animals from high kill shelters, provide transportation of these animals to secure, non-kill establishments, to promote and facilitate responsible pet ownership, and to intervene in cases of animal cruelty. We commit to eliminating euthanasia of companion animals in North America one shelter at a time.
We Fulfill Our Mission By Providing:
- Safe, clean and efficient transportation of animals in danger of being euthanized before their time expires at their shelter.
- Education to the communities around high kill shelters about proper animal healthcare and the long term benefits of spaying and neutering
- Low-cost or free spay and neuter options through our affiliate Spay-It-Forward program.
- Vaccines and medications to high kill shelters in order to prevent the onset and spread of diseases.
The Services Involved In Starfish Animal Rescue, Including But Not Limited To:
- Networking with national and regional rescues, as well as shelters, advocacy organizations, and breed specific clubs;
- Conducting intake services where possible to process and transport animals that have been abused, abandoned at shelters, or released for adoption by owners who are unable to keep them;
- Collaborating with veterinarians and behaviorists to provide screening, sterilization, vaccinations, and other minor medical attention to animals being transported to non-kill establishments;
- Raising funds to support the above activities.
What We Have Accomplished:
- Since 2006, we have been helping a rural high kill shelter in the mountains of Kentucky. The shelter averages 200 dogs and puppies EACH MONTH.
- Thus far, we have rescued over 4000 dogs, with an estimated breakdown of 1500 dogs and puppies per year. We owe many thanks for the help of our rescue partner, Safe Hands Animal Rescue in Minneapolis, MN. Safe Hands has been generous enough to donate many of the vaccines for all of the puppies that enter the shelter, ensuring that they are healthy and safe to transport. Because of this collaboration, we were able to half the euthanasia rate and triple the number of dogs rescued within the first year.
- We have also helped to establish a low cost spay/neuter program for the residents surrounding our project KY shelter. Due to its welcome by the community, it was instantly successful. In 2008 over 500 dogs and cats were sterilized. With continued preventative efforts, we hope to rapidly reduce the number of puppies and kittens coming into the shelter.
- We also have been participating in responsible rescue. Rescue goes beyond the individual animal being taken to safety. It is a priority that Starfish Animal Rescue keeps the big picture in mind. Each puppy or kitten comes from a breeding pair of animals. While the breeding pairs are not always surrendered to the shelter, we initiate, encourage and support their owners by providing medical attention and sterilization to these animals. We have also been fortunate to be able to provide donated dog and cat food for the shelter and the community when available. By providing these food donations, individuals can afford to feed their dogs that they otherwise would surrender to a shelter. We feel that long-term solutions are the most important goals of any responsible rescue.
Come Visit Us
Contact Starfish Animal Rescue