We do not have a featured pet at this time however please click on the "ADOPTABLE CATAHOULAS" link above to see a list of all of the wonderful dogs within the rescue that are in need of a forever home.
The Catahoula breed is not for everyone! They were bred to hunt wild boar and are a hunting/working/treeing dog; a Catahoula is not a “herding” breed. They need a job that challenges them mentally and physically. Catahoulas excel at hunting, agility, dock diving, flyball and many other performance sports. Catahoulas are highly intelligent and do best in active homes. Catahoulas are very loyal and grow very attached to their families.
Catahoulas are wonderful dogs..in the right home, as long as the owner's lifestyle is compatible with a Catahoula's energy and temperament needs.....people often choose a breed of dog much like themselves.....to own a Catahoula you need to be more strong-willed, intelligent and confident then they are.
The first step in adopting a Catahoula is to fill out an adoption application. An application can be obtained by contacting us at email@example.com Please DO NOT complete the application on our main website; you must email us for the Illinois/Midwest application in order to be considered for one our dogs. We have dogs coming into rescue on a continual basis; so if we don't have the one your looking for now, fill out an application, and we will notify you when a dog fitting your description comes into rescue.
Adoption fees help to offset expenses incurred in rescue. Our tax-deductible adoption fee ranges from $250-$400 and is based on the dog and location; we have dogs fostered in IL, WI, OH, IA, KY and IN with temp foster homes in southern locations as well (FL,GA,TN, LA). All dogs are spayed/neutered, up to date on all vaccines including rabies, microchipped, fecal tested and dewormed and heartworm tested with preventative started if old enough. Catahoula Rescue receives no funds from other groups or government sources. Our work is paid for by donations, adoption fees, and the volunteers themselves; all volunteers donate their services. If you are interested in adopting or helping one of our Catahoulas in need please contact us as time is of the essence.
*Please Remember*: By adopting one of our foster dogs you save 2 lives! It frees up space for a dog in a kill shelter that needs to be pulled and vetted. If our foster dogs don't get homes, we have no room to pull other dogs (most of which need vetting and evaluations by our volunteers). Help us Help more dogs...
Catahoula Rescue, Inc. needs volunteers to help save these great dogs. We NEED people to help FOSTER dogs! If you are unable to foster please consider donating your time in other ways such as helping transport dogs from shelters to their foster homes, checking shelters, helping with placement, assisting at adoption days, and fund raising. You can also Sponsor A Dog! Many people are unable to foster a dog but would like to help. There is no better way to help than to sponsor a dog of your choice. This donation will help offset the cost of vet care, food, and anything else the dog may need. WE are in DESPERATE need of DONATIONS!! We cannot help these dogs without the funds to do so and have had MANY dogs needing thousands of dollars worth of care. PLEASE HELP and donate at our paypal link above. If you are interested in volunteering to help us save these dogs, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are also on Facebook. Please look us up under Catahoula Rescue Illinois
1) My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy/adopt me.
2) Give me time to understand what it is that you want from me.
3) Place your trust in me - it is crucial to my well-being.
4) Do not be angry with me for long, I won't remember why you're mad.
5) You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have you.
6) Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when you are speaking to me.
7) Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
8) Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand but I choose not to bite you.
9) Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is growing old and weak.
10) Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say "I can't bear to do this" or "let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me of you are there. ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT I LOVE YOU UNCONDITIONALLY!
- Author Unknown
For more information on a specific dog or to get more info on the breed itself please email Amanda at email@example.com Thanks!