Here at Suncoast Humane Society, we take our animal adoptions very seriously but our policies are simple. We have an obligation to see every animal adopted into a responsible home. We only place animals with caring people who are concerned with the well-being of the animal.
Adoption Hours are:
Tuesday - Friday 11:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM - 3:30 PM
We are closed Sunday and Monday. We are unable to process adoptions 30 minutes prior to closing so that we can feed and care for the animals
Adopters must meet these guidelines:
- 18 years of age
- Valid ID with name and current address; and
- Landlord and/or parental verification
Adoptions may be restricted:
- During certain holiday periods;
- By limiting the adoption of certain animals, breeds, or ages to families with children or elderly.
What you get when you adopt from SHS:
- Spaying or neutering
- Heartworm or feline leukemia/AIDS test
- First distemper shot
- A complimentary bag of Hills Science Diet pet food.
- A complete medical history showing all of the care, shots, and tests that were administered to the animal during its shelter stay
- An implanted microchip with registration (helping to return lost animals to their owners)
- An amazing new friend!!
- Canines and Felines - $85.00 plus $10 Rabies Vaccination
- Canines and Felines for Senior Adopters (65+) - $50.00 plus $10 Rabies Vaccination
- Senior Canines and Felines (7+ years) for Senior Adopters (65+) - $25 plus $10 Rabies Vaccination
- Pets with Seniority (In Shelter more than 6 months) - $10 plus $10 Rabies Vaccination
*There may be additional inoculations recommended that you will be responsible for. Additionally, you will have to purchase a County License/Tag for your pet. We are currently able to sell County License Tags for Sarasota and Charlotte Counties.*
If you would like to get a head-start on the Adoption Application, click on the link above to access it.
Please don't hesitate to stop by the shelter in person to discuss any questions with an adoption counselor, or feel free to call us at 941-474-7884.
Florida Statute 585.195 states that all dogs and cats sold must be at least eight (8) weeks old.
Statue 823.15 states that all animals adopted from any shelter must be spayed or neutered.