Come down to PetSmart of San Leandro, at BayFair Mall. We are there every Saturday from 12-4:30pm. We showcase our foster animals and cats that reside at the PetSmart Charities Pet Center inside the store. Are variety of felines will either come from our foster homes, local shelters or our owner assist program. We are known to occasionally open our doors for dogs as well, but primarily we are a cat rescue organization.
The Hayward Animal Shelter also showcases shelter dogs from 12:30pm - 4:30pm on Saturdays. There are usually 3 small dogs and 2 larger dogs available for adoption.
Adoption Dates and Times are Subject to Change Without Notice for both Sunshine Rescue Group and The Hayward Animal Shelter.
Adopting A Friend
- be at least 18 years of age and have a permanent residence.
- have a valid CA or Military identification showing age and present address.
- demonstrate you have sufficient source of income to support the financial costs of owning a pet.
- be willing and able to spend the time and money necessary to provide the proper care for your companion pet including food, shelter, veterinary care, grooming, training and loving attention for the duration of their life.
- understand that the Sunshine Rescue Group reserves the right to deny any adoption application.
- complete an application BEFORE meeting the animal of your choice.
- be interviewed one-on-one by one of our adoption counselors, often by the actual foster parent.
- We need proof of home ownership or a copy of your lease and your landlord's name and phone number to verify that you can have cats.
- All members of your family must be present to ensure that everyone is happy with the new family member(s). *** This means that we cannot accommodate requests to adopt out any animal that will later be given as gifts to people who haven't met the animal, including your own children! *** As we support ASPCA's guidelines on this issue, please review them if you have questions.
- Sunshine Rescue Group's position on the "indoor only" versus "indoor/outdoor" debate falls firmly on the side of "indoor only". If you'd like to learn more about why we feel this way, please visit the HSUS website.
The following steps must be followed:
- Step 1-If you haven't already, please read our Adoption Requirements page.
- Step 2-Fill out an online application.
- Step 3-Your application will be thoroughly reviewed by an adoption counselor who may have additional questions for you.
- Step 4-If the application is approved, the adoption counselor will schedule an interview where you will be able to visit with the kitten. Please note that application approval is not adoption approval.
- Step 5-After the adoption counselor interviews you and if (s)he believes that it is a Match Made in Heaven, the adoption will be officially "approved".
- Step 6-If you've reached "Step 6", CONGRATULATIONS! We hope that you and your new found friend have a lifetime filled with love and happiness.
Adoption Appointments Are Available For Those Who Are Unable to Come to Our Scheduled Outreach Events
Our adoption fee is $100.00. But before you go into sticker shock, we'll show you what you get for your hard-earned money:
- Adoption Donation-$15.00.
This is to ensure we can continue our rescue operations.
ALL our kittens are spayed/neutered. Spaying/neutering not only can curb behavioral issues but also reduce the risk of certain cancers and diseases. Check the HSUS website for details.
We give at least the first round of the FVRCP vaccine (Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia) and de-worm the kitten.
ALL our kittens are identifiable for a life-time. If your kitten ever gets lost and ends up in a shelter, all shelters are required to scan for this chip and contact you. We use the AVID chip. Check the Avid website for details. But trust us, microchips can potentially save you from heartache.
- A Fostered Kitten-Priceless.
We foster our kittens with the greatest care, love, and attention.
We realize that $100.00 might seem like a lot but, if you were to go to a veterinarian, some of these included "items" might cost as much as $300.00, if not more. Remember, most vets are going to want to actually conduct an office visit as part of the neuter/spaying procedure over and above the additional fees for microchipping, vaccines, etc. So, when you take into consideration the savings you'll get from adopting from us PLUS hold one of our kittens in your arms, you'll realize that we're a bargain!
Adoption Fees are Subject to Change Without Notice.
Who We Are
We are a 100% volunteer-run organization with a mission to rescue abandoned, unwanted kittens from local communities and shelters.
When rescuing kittens from the community, we require that those releasing kittens have the kittens’ parents spayed and neutered, whenever possible, or that a TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) Program be initiated in their neighborhood.
Once in our rescue, we do everything we can to make our charges as healthy and as highly adoptable as possible and provide these innocent victims of neglect and circumstance with the best possible start in life.
We couldn't do this without the devotion, loyalty, commitment and enthusiasm of our volunteers, supporters and sponsors. We'd like to recognize their dedication and acknowledge the value their contributions add to the success of Sunshine Rescue Group. Thank you!
Come Visit Us
Our address is 308 Bayfair Drive, San Leandro, 94578. We are located inside of Petsmart, at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro. We showcase our (foster) animals every Saturday from 12-4:30pm. If you can't make it on Saturdays to see any of our fosters animals, our adult cats are housed permanently inside of PetSmart and can be viewed any day that the store is open.
Contact Sunshine Rescue Group