Joined: 13 Oct 2004
Total posts: 1331
|Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:49 am
Post subject: Summer Camp Instructor @ Belle Isle Nature Zoo Royal Oak, MI
|This is a full-time seasonal position located at the Belle Isle Nature Zoo (BINZ). The hours of this job are 8:30 am to 4:30pm. All candidates must attend a one week training prior to the start of camp. Camp will run July 20th through August 12th.
The Detroit Zoological Society is currently accepting resumes for seasonal positions for our Summer Nature Camp at the Belle Isle Nature Zoo. As a member of the Education Team, staff will work with guests of all ages delivering educational programs promoting the Zoo’s mission.
The chosen candidates will teach and assist during the Belle Isle Nature Zoo’s Summer Nature Camp. Responsibilities include: leading groups of 12-25 youth, ages 5-12, on tours at Belle Isle, craft projects, environmental activities, and interacting with other staff and guests. Programs are held mainly outdoors, in a variety of weather conditions. All candidates must attend a one week training prior to the start of camp.
Work will be performed in an outdoor environment in various conditions. Employees must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time. While performing the duties of these jobs, the employee is exposed to seasonal weather conditions and the total Belle Isle Nature Zoo environment. The noise level in the work environment is moderate. The employee must be able to lift and move 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
•Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in General Science, Education, Zoology, Biology or other closely related field OR completion of a High School Diploma with two years of experience in a large zoological institution or a youth organization preferred. (Must be over 18 years of age.)
• Familiar with concepts and issues of biology, environmental or life sciences, animal welfare and husbandry, and similar disciplines preferred.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with diverse audiences.
• Must be available for the entire camp season, June 20th through August 12th.
• Must hold a valid operator license with an excellent driving record, chauffer license preferred.
• Current CPR, First Aid Certification preferred
• Must be available for a flexible work schedule.