Antifreeze Poison Prevention Tips

Tags: , ,

ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC), an operating division of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is the only animal-oriented poison control center in North America. The NAPCC is a unique, emergency hotline providing 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week telephone assistance.

Antifreeze Poison Prevention Tips

Thinkstock

Motorists can help prevent accidental ingestion of antifreeze. According to a study conducted by the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, most cases of antifreeze poisoning occur around the pet’s own home and are usually due to improper storage or disposal. Therefore, NAPCC wants to educate vehicle owners on the safe use, storage and disposal of antifreeze to help prevent accidental ingestion.

The following are some guidelines for pet owners to follow to avoid pet exposures to antifreeze:

ASPCA Antifreeze Poisoning Prevention Tips

  • Always clean up antifreeze spills immediately.
  • Check your car regularly for leaks.
  • Always store antifreeze containers in clearly marked containers and in areas that are inaccessible to your pets.
  • Never allow your pets to have access to the area when you are draining antifreeze from your car.
  • Propylene glycol containing products, such as Prestone Low Tox brand antifreeze, are a less toxic form of antifreeze and could be used instead of conventional ethylene glycol antifreeze.

If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze, contact your veterinarian immediately!

Contact:
For consultation services: ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center 1-888-4ANI-HELP
For more pet poison prevention tips, visit www.napcc.aspca.org.

Courtesy of
ASPCA
424 East 92nd St.
New York, NY 10128-6804
(212) 876-7700
www.aspca.org

Comments