In the hot summer months, heatstroke is a serious — and possibly deadly — concern in cats and dogs. Making your cats frozen treats can help keep them cool and be a fun way to bond with your pet. Here are some of our favorite summer cat-treat recipes:
What you’ll need:
- 3-oz Chunk light tuna (low-sodium)
- 2.5-oz Chicken with chicken broth baby food
- Fresh dried catnip
- Approx. 2-3 spoonfuls of organic plain yogurt
How to make it:
- Stir all ingredients together until smooth
- Place in ice cube trays to freeze
-Submitted by Tracy R. on our Facebook page.
What you’ll need (makes about 15 catsicles):
- 15 8-oz plastic cups
- 1 5.5-oz can of your cat’s favorite wet food (smooth, not chunky, works best)
- Catnip and/or soft cat treats (optional)
- One small square of Saran Wrap
How to make it:
- Mix cat food and optional ingredients in a medium-size bowl.
Mix should be primarily cat food, with treats mixed in as you would add
chocolate chips to cookie dough.
- Fill each plastic cup
with about 1/4-1/2 an inch of the mixture. Flatten mixture by stacking
cups one inside another. Place Saran Wrap over top cup to avoid freezer
burn and place in freezer overnight.
- The next morning, run
the bottom-most cup under warm tap water until you can pull it free of
the other cups and pop out the catsicle.
- Place catsicle
disk in a deep bowl (to avoid messes) and let stand approximately five
minutes or until the outside starts to “sweat.” Present catsicle to
-Submitted by Petfinder’s associate producer, Jane Harrell
These frozen treats will be fun for your cats and keep them nice and cool on the hot days. Learn more about heatstroke in pets and how you can prevent it.